Hearing from a long lost distant relative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hearing from a long lost distant relative

Am I the only one to get excited over hearing from a long lost distant cousin? He is the great grandson of the brother of my great grandmother, does this make us cousins four times removed or what? I was able to fill in a few missing gaps in his knowledge of the family and vice versa.

I would be thrilled to bits to make contact with such a person!!! Lucky you
    Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Not at all! I have just found someone who is my gt gt gt grandfathers sisters descendant and I am really happy! No idea what relation we are to each other tho!:D
      Clare

Comment

I was thrilled when I found my third cousin once removed about three years ago (or it might be that he found me). He left a message in a church visitors book, which was published in the parish newsletter, which was sent to my mother by a friend, who then passed it on to me. Anyway, he had been visiting from Australia looking for his roots, I wrote to him and had emails and phone calls from him and his sister and, best of all, my brother and I met him and his daughter (our fourth cousin) when they came back for another visit last year.

Jane

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
          Am I the only one to get excited over hearing from a long lost distant cousin? He is the great grandson of the brother of my great grandmother, does this make us cousins four times removed or what?
          No, you're third cousins.

Comment

Hi Lorraine,
            I met, on the net, my 3rd cousin 4 years ago. We have never physically met but keep in touch regularly and I consider her a true friend.
            And yes I was completely thrilled to make contact and become friends.
            Actually I am a bit scared that should we meet in person that we might not get on - but I don't think that would be the case, fingers crossed.
            Good luck with your new friendship.
            herky
            Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
              I was thrilled when I found my third cousin once removed about three years ago (or it might be that he found me). He left a message in a church visitors book, which was published in the parish newsletter, which was sent to my mother by a friend, who then passed it on to me. Anyway, he had been visiting from Australia looking for his roots, I wrote to him and had emails and phone calls from him and his sister and, best of all, my brother and I met him and his daughter (our fourth cousin) when they came back for another visit last year.

Jane
              What a fantastic story

Comment

What a great story!
                I have been looking for the descendents of the brother of my great grandmother, who came to Australia and settled with his family in NSW. I know he died in Sydney in 1914, and I know the nemes of his wife and two children, but unfortunately, that is all I know.
                If I were to get in touch with any of his kin, I would be over the moon.

Comment

im lucky my paternal grandma got stuck into genealogy in the 80's, we are in contact with many extended family, one even breaking a brick wall my family have worked on for a hundred years!!

my mum's side are different. her grandparents didn't talk about the family, so it's been really hard building it from scratch, especially with only memories of certain aunts and uncles who were known by nicknames. aunty nina is lorraina maud, kinda thing. but i have been in contact with some people who know more of my immediate family than i do, and our mutual link is in the 1870's.

Comment

My research has also prompted me to contact a not so distant relative my Gt Uncle and I am going to see him at half term as he has carrie dout a lot of research on his mothers family. Am really looking forward to hearing his stories
                    Clare

Comment

This is why I continue my Genes Reunited membership.
                      I've had an awful lot of chaff over the years, but I have also had a few nuggets - these I am in regular contact with and we exchange all new discoveries.

Jay
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I've been researching my ancestry for 5 years now and have found many descendants of my Irish and English grandparents' siblings, in Australia, USA and of course in Ireland England and Wales.

It certainly pays off to have your family tree on varoius websites......and to keep posting messages everywhere you can!

The joy of receiving photo's of my paternal and maternal grandparents' siblings is undescribable. The likeness of some, to my daughter and father is a bit spooky too!

We also received a large family picture of my OH's Grandfather's Weeks and his family and I was shocked to see that one of the sons looked like my OH when he was 18 and 2 others were the spitting image of his cousins!
                        teresa

Comment

A few weeks ago I heard from a lady in who is a descendant of one of my ggg-grandparents four sons who emigrated to Australia in the 1840s. This lady, her siblings and cousins have a book on their family from Scottish roots to 2008. A copy of the book is enroute to me and I'm very anxiously awaiting its arrival. She is sending a copy of a letter my g-grandfather wrote in 1929 when he traced their branch of the family. Copies of photos sent out by my g-grandfather are also coming my way.
                          Bel

Comment

Over four years ago a lady in USA contacted me and we worked out that we had a connection back in 1804, we have kept in touch and last Tuesday she, her husband and their youngest son visited us. We had a great afternoon! I felt as if I'd known them all my life. Within the last month the SiL of one of my Dad's cousins contacted me through Curious Fox and boy was I chuffed. The cousin (Dad's) is still going strong at 93 yrs and has indentified people on old photos for me and filled in "missing links" all over the place. I'm hoping to meet some of the family in the flesh before too long. Luckily they live in UK.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

I have only been researching since August last year and have already found an unknown large section of my family in Canada. One is a first cousin once removed and at 84 she is the last survivor of 10 children of my grandfather's brother. She is pretty good on the computer however and we now speak regularly on the webcam and it's for free as well. What an invention that is and should be a must for anybody with distant relations.

Her daughter and granddaughter are over visiting London at this time and we have already been down to see them. And then it's Canada here we come.

I have also found some lovely relations in Melbourne Australia who I never new about previously. They are also on with the family tree and we correspond and compare notes regularly by e-mail. It also halves the number of certificates that each of us has to buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X