One for OC - marriage licences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One for OC - marriage licences

Had a look at a marriage licence yesterday, what interesting documents they are! The only problem was the bride's father was named as "John Doe" :o
    I had no idea they used that term in 1803 !

I do recommend that anyone looking for a bit more info on marriages pre 1837 have a look for these if the Parish Record entry says "Married by licence" as they are very interesting & may give clues as to who the fathers were if the licence still exists.

Joanie

Yes, they are interesting, aren't they.

Like everything else to do with family history, I frequently get distracted and find myself following families that have absolutely nothing to do with me, just because they are interesting.

OC

Comment

I always thought John Doe was an American thing??

My boss is descended from a family called Doe so it may actually have been a man called JOhn Doe
      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
        I always thought John Doe was an American thing??

My boss is descended from a family called Doe so it may actually have been a man called JOhn Doe
        Except her surname was Badrick lol!

I asked one of the bods that worked there & he said that was quite common to use John Doe if they didn't know their father's name, that or "Henry Hunt" for some reason - that's what he told me, lol!

Joanie

Comment

"John Doe" is English in origin and has been used in Britain since at least the 1600s. "Richard Roe" is another one. No one seems to know why these names were decided upon.

OC

Comment

cheers OC

THank god I stopped having to help do his tree. Imagine narrowing down a death for someone actually called John Doe
            Zoe in London

Comment

Zoe

Haaaaaaa! Wonder if anyone was ever REALLY called John Doe?

OC

Comment

Just had a quick peek at the 1851 census and there is at least 50 (ie the first page) of them :D:D

Anne

Comment

Anne

Yes, but was that really their original ancestral name, or were they called John Doe cos no-one knew who they were, originally, if you see what I mean.

OC

Comment

:D:D
                    I'm not about to start researching them, OC!!!

Anne

Comment

I once came across a John Doe as the guarantor on a marriage bond, think it was my 3xg-grandparents' one.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My 6x great grandfather was called John Doe.

He married my 6x great grandmother in 1770.

He had a grandson John Doe, 1814 - 1889.

:D

(Also have a couple of Jane Doe's as well)

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I got my boss's Does back to the late 1700s in Suffolk

I can't guarantee that at some point they didn't know who they were so became the Doe family. In fact, thinking about boss man, it's probably a given.
                          Zoe in London

Comment

Working...
                          X