Mecklenburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mecklenburg

I was just reading Sally's article in the May edition of the magazine. Some of my ancestors also emigrated from there to New Zealand. I wondered if any other members also have ancestors from there and has anybody actually traced their records from Mecklenburg, if there are any records remaining.
    Mine emigrated on board the Lammershagen which was later shipwrecked of the coast of Swansea.
    I would be interested if anybody has any links to any sites that may be able to help.

I think there is some Mecklenberg stuff on ancestry.com, have you tried looking on there?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Gloryer, how lovely to find a fellow Mecklenburger!!! Well, in the not too distant past anyway.

I have been fortunate in that a distant German relative who lives there, and who is an avid genealogist, has given me some important information relating to my family....however I have no knowledge of the German language and most of the sites that I have looked at are in German.

I will therefore watch this thread with interest to see if anyone can help.
      Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

I've been reading about Mecklenburg on the internet, your ancestors probably emigrated because it was one of the poorest of the german states, and though the majority of people farmed the land was very poor. There, useless info for you.....:D

Comment

every little helps Barbara....lol
          I did do a few searches a couple of years ago but like you I do not understand the german language so it was a no go. I did join a mailing list but all the posts were also in german.
          The information I have came from my rellies in New Zealand but I dont know how they found out what they did. Mine were from Schwerin Meckleburg. I was kinda hoping maybe mine had an unusual name but I have no idea how popular the name is and there are of course various spellings.

Comment

I hope I get this right...

Last edited by Just Barbara; 10-05-09, 19:52.

Comment

just corrected it so it works now.......

Comment

Gloryer, mine came from Schwerin too..........I have to go shortly, but will send you a message tomorrow because I may be able to give you some information that you do not already have. You never know, between us we might get somewhere!!
                Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

once you do get into mecklenberg, the records are quite good. i thought i had meclenberg ancestors, as all the info in the family was straight up. but i couldn't find an aussie birth cert. i wasn't fussed, because her parents were on her marriage and her death certs. then it was found, and she wasn't even a member of the family!! the father on her certs must have adopted her when she was 2.

you could probably google your family to see if the ships list is online. alternatively, you could get in contact with your cousins and swap notes.

Comment

I have tried to find the passenger list with them on but no luck so far. My aunt in New Zealand doesnt have internet so eveything is at a snails mail pace and there is no consistency. She was very good at forwarding a whole load of stuff about my Yorkshire side though!!

Comment

I went to Schwerin last year as my daughter did a work placement there. I was given a book by a German family who were very proud of their town, might be of use, tells you all about the town past and present with some beautiful photo's.

Landeshauptstadt
                      Schwerin
                      Entdeckungen*Discoveries

Jorn Lehmann
                      Maik Gleitsmann

Isbn 978-3-00-022365-5

Here's one my daughter took as winter set in and I have some more if you would like any

Schwerin 2.jpg
                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Elaine, that is a beautiful picture. May I take it please for my records?

Comment

Of course you can, here's the castle

Castle Schwerin.jpg
                          Elaine

Comment

There are also lakes surrounding the area

S7300363.jpg
                            Elaine

Comment

How absolutely lovely. My ancestors on my father's side all came from Schwerin, and those pictures will now be inserted in the write up. thank you.

Comment

that looks like a really nice place.
                                I have been on ancestry and posted a message and have had 2 replys. I didnt realise that there is quite a bit of information on there about Meckleburg. Unfortunately I dont subscribe so I shall have to try it at the library as they have free access to ancestry.

Comment

If I can help you from Germany, write to me. A part of my ancestors lived in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. It was part politically of Denmark to 1850.
                                  This one it came to the German alliance and became 1871 much war component of Germany after one in Europe.
                                  One was my ancestors' steward at the court of the grand prince of Mecklenburg at the time from 1798 to 1816 in Ludwigslust, not far from Schwerin.
                                  Wolf

Comment

Working...
                                  X