Obtaining overseas certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtaining overseas certificates

I am wondering if anyone knows how to obtain a birth certificate from India. I have found that my Great Great Grandfather was born there and I can't move any further as I have no idea what his parents names are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Have you found the birth registration in the Overseas Index - available on Findmypast or Family Relatives.
    If you can find the registration then you can order the certificate from the GRO in the same way as you order an English/Welsh certificate - cost £7.
    Elaine

Comment

What Elaine says applies if he was a British citizen. If he was an Indian citizen, it's a lot more complicated.

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I will look at those sites, I never knew you could look for the overseas records through them.

Mary, that makes things harder All I have is his name, no other details, so I don't know know whether he would be a british or indian citizen

Thank you both

Comment

If one or both of his parents was English (did he have an English surname?), I think he'd be a British citizen, so with a bit of luck you may find him in the overseas BMDs (although I don't think the index is comprehensive).

If not, I think you'll have a lot of trouble, because I don't think all Indian citizens have birth certificates, even nowadays (this is based on something I've read - I haven't done any research in India myself).

You'll find some more links here:

India - Family Tree Forum

including the Fibis and India Office sites, which also have some British births/baptisms in India.

Comment

Thanks so much for that info Mary. As far as I know his surname is English. I will check that link you gave me too.

Comment

Working...
            X