No announcement yet.

Mysterious MATILDA..Any ideas please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mysterious MATILDA..Any ideas please ?

Hello Folks,
    I have a small/large mystery on my hands so your input will be much appreciated....

Edward Ward b 1851 in Coventry, he is with his parents on all censuses up to the 1871 when he is a 19 year old Brassworker ( his father is a shoemaker).

1881 census 77 Lombard Street B'ham
    Edward Ward, 27, b Coventry, Bootmaker.
    Matilda Ward, 26, b Coventry ( No marriage is found for this couple)
    Edward Ward, b 1880

NOTE: Death of Edward Ward 27/10/1883 aged 29, shoemaker, LOMBARD ST.
    Informant was Matilda Ward.
    This was the last sighting I had of Matilda & her son Edward ( although Edward is on the 1901 census staying with an uncle & Cousin in B'ham )
    Then I heard from a chap on GR who says that there is a daughter of Edward & Matilda born after Edward's death, Phoebe in 1884. So once again I look at the 1891 for Matilda, Edward & Phoebe...the only match is for a family called CAPP but now with a girl called Susannah between Edward & Phoebe.There are also younger Capp children with William & Matilda Capp.
    RG12/2413/93/37...at this point I send for the birth certs of Edward in 1880. the address is the same as the one on the 1881 census, Matildas maiden name is given as MASON. This is the same name on the cert for Susannah
    b 1882 in LOMBARD STREET, although fathers job is Brass Founder. BUT..the
    name for Mother on Phoebe's cert is given as Matilda Wilson DIXON. , but the address is 12 court LOMBARD STREET. There are NO births for any children called EDWARD/SUSANNAH or PHOEBE CAPP...so is this the same Matilda Ward & her children or are there two Matilda's ????? OH..Matilda Ward died 1905...:(
    Regards,
    Margaret ( with a major headache !!! )
    Last edited by skylark; 09-05-09, 14:40. Reason: Incorrect name given
    Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

I wondered if there was a marriage for a William Capp to a Matilda, but I can only see one in 1885 in Birmingham with a Matilda Griffiths on same page.

leiko

The other person is a Annie Hatcher and I have found a William Capp with a wife Annie, so can discount the above.
    Last edited by leiko; 09-05-09, 15:18. Reason: adding extra information

Comment

Hello leiko,
      I had also spotted this marriage & was hoping that this wasn't ANOTHER Matilda ! But thanks to you I can no discount this marriage...thanks again.

Margaret.
      Family Names : HALE, GREEN, BROUGH, HARRIS, FARMER, REEVES, MINCHIN, CORNISH, WARD.

Comment

I am tying myself up in knots now as there is a marriage in 1873 of a Matilda Wilson Dixon with these people on the same page.

Matilda Wilson Dixon
        Susan Wilson Dixon
        .......Alfred Griffiths ??????
        Thomas Mason

Hmmmmm...

Leiko
        Last edited by leiko; 09-05-09, 18:35.

Comment

Hello again leiko,

where did you spot these marriages please ?? & what is the district given ?

Margaret.

Comment

It's Wandsworth district and on FreeBMD.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry, thought I had put that - I just typed in Matilda Wilson Dixon to see what would pop up.

These are the details.

Matilda Wilson Dixon, 1873, Q1 Wandsworth, Greater London, 1d 681

The above could just be a coincidence.

Can I just clarify - you say that Matilda Wilson Dixon was the mother named on Pheobe's cert but that there are no births registered for a Pheobe Capp - was Pheobe's birth cert under the name of Ward?

I am suffering from Matilda-itis......

Leiko

Comment

Yes..Phoebe's name is WARD & father is Edward Ward, so that fits plus the Lombard Street connection of course.. I think perhaps Wandsworth is too far from B'ham/Coventry to be pertinent ..but who knows..

Margaret.

Comment

Yes, it was just the name that seemed to stand out and the marriage is a bit early for your Matilda, I thought it might help to prove that they were two different families.

My great grandparents got married in Hull despite having no connection with the place whatsoever - took me ages to find it (pre internet genealogy). Turned out an illegitmate child was involved hence the 'out of area' marriage.

Leiko

Comment

For the death of Matilda - is she registered as Ward and do you have the certificate? It would show other names I think including her maiden name.
                    Margaret

Comment

I don't have the death cert for Matilda Ward...the chap on GR is her gtgrandson & he is sure that her name was Matilda Wilson Dixon ( her baptism is on the IGI ) & he has the death cert for her in 1905.

Margaret.

Comment

FreeBMD shows the following potential marriages (1870-1890) of Ed* WARD & Matilda X (you'd need to check subsequent censuses to be sure which names went with which):

1883q2 Lambeth:
                        MCGRATH Mary Ann
                        MOSS Matilda
                        Page William Thomas
                        Ward Edward William

&

1888q3 St Saviour:
                        ALLMETT Matilda Jane
                        FLETCHER William
                        Ingram Alice
                        Ward Edwin

Neither looks a good match from your perspective.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Is Susannah Capp or Ward?
                          Margaret

Comment

On the IGI I can see a Matilda Dixon christened 12 Aug 1857 (born 23rd July) St Michael Coventry at the same time as William Arthur Dixon parents William Wilson Dixon and Susan - trying to find them on census to follow that theory.

Leiko

The IGI also has a marriage for William Wilson Dixon to Susan Hopkins 25th Feb 1856 St Michael Coventry, William aged 26, Susan aged 21.

Those marriages in Wandsworth 1873, where there is a Susan Wilson Dixon and a Matilda Wilson Dixon, What if Susan Wilson Dixon is the Mother remarrying - to Thomas Mason - that could account for Matilda calling herself a Mason on one of her childrens birth certificates.
                            Last edited by leiko; 09-05-09, 18:38. Reason: adding marriage

Comment

Hello Margaret,
                              EDWARD/SUSANNAH & PHOEBE ALL have the surname WARD & parents named as Edward & Matilda...it is the maiden name of Matilda that changes.
                              There are NO Capp children born called Edward/Susannah & Phoebe...if Matilda was NOT married to Edward Ward the chances are that she did not marry William Capp either...but I have seen surnames changed to the new "husbands" name & possibly this is the case here ?

Hello leika,
                              The baptism of Matilda Wilson Dixon & the marriage of her parents seem correct. I have failed to find any sign of this Dixon family on ANY census.
                              As regards to the Susan Wilson Dixon Marriage..why would Matilda's name be mentioned as well ? Also I think the name "Wilson" came from her father's 2nd name. But I will have a look again & see if anything new comes up.

My thanks to you all for your input on this infuriating lady..
                              Margaret.

Comment

I have found a death for WILLIAM ARTHUR DIXON Mar Qtr 1860 in Coventry.
                                ( Brother of Matilda Wilson Dixon )

Margaret.

Comment

Hi Skylark

I could not see the Wilson Dixon family on any census either. Regarding the 1873 marriages - there are four names on the page a Matilda Wilson Dixon, a Susan Wilson Dixon, an Arthur Griffiths and a Thomas Mason. This means that these four married one another but who married who we don't know without seeing the certificate (or at least finding some clue on a census). I wondered if it was Mother and Daughter having a 'double wedding' - clutching at straws..

Wish they could be found on a census.

That looks a good possible for her brother doesn't it.

Leiko

Comment

Working...
                                  X