Right one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right one

Some of you helped me with the BC for a Frederick Hyett as there were 2 references for GRO and you all assured me they would send the right one, thanks they did as both ref's referred to the same birth.

I received BC today an amendment was made to the original. It states in Col 4& 5 Hyatt was substitute for Hyett. It was corrected on 18/9/1846 in the presence of the parents.

I wonder what made the parents do this as in those days most could not even get the year they were born right or did they just decide they wanted it spelt with a E. As Frederick father's name was spelt with an A?
    GWEN

Well whether the name was spelt Hyatt or Hyett would be down to who recorded it I imagine. I have umpteen variants of names. Even parish registers, filled in by the same vicar for years, have different ways of spelling the same families, people whom the vicar would have known.

If they altered it especially then they must have felt strongly about it for whatever reason. What was the exact date of the original registration?

I've only found one cert with an amendment. It was my gt grandmother's death and the details about her husband (dead many years earlier) were added later, in the presence of their son. I can't see that he would have a need to do this, other than for exactness.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It was ameded in 1846 a year after the birth reg. Strangely enough my brother just called and it is his wifes family I am researching he said that they were told that the name altered because of claiming money from the treasury!
      GWEN

Comment

I have a death cert from the 1850s where 6 months after the registration the woman's surname was corrected from Morrell to Morrall.
        Her husband was illiterate, so I can only assume he must have shown it to someone who could read who pointed out the error.
        For me, this shows that the spelling of the surname was fairly set in stone and was of of some importance to the family. It also makes it easier for me to trace them.
        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Working...
        X