any further suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any further suggestions

I've been looking for a marriage for Charles Powell to Margaret Ann Davies but no luck!!!!!
    I have Charles on the 1891 census with wife also the 1901 and 1911 census. The last census Margaret is on with her family is 1881 and their eldest child was born abt 1887.
    As I cannot find their marriage I then looked for Charles BC but what one do I choose as on the census he is giving different yob 1856, 1866 and on 1911, 1846. As as you can imagine there are lots of Powell's in Hereford and I do not know the name of his parents so would have no checking points for the GRO to choose the right one.
    These are the census ref
    RG12 P 2059, F16, p5
    RG13, p2478, f42, p26
    As Margaret is born in Wales I have looked for a marriage in Wales and Herefordshire.
    I know her name is Margaret Ann davies as I received the BC for one of their
    siblings this week.
    Have you any more suggestions if I cannot find Charles birth or marriage I cannot go back further.
    GWEN

No ideas about finding his birth or marriage at present but as there's only one Charles Powel (one 'L') on the 1881 census born in Fownhope (1854) might that be him ?
    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Rachel off to look now I did wonder why I could not find him before 1891.
      I am perphaps thinking Charles and Ann did not Marry. You would not believe how many Marriages I looked through since Friday, why did her name have to be Davies and Welsh!!! LOL
      GWEN

Comment

Oooo look
        1881 census there's a Davies family in Fownhope (image 3) from Radnorshire

David and Anne

with children
        Margaret A (age 23)
        John G?

The Powels are on image 2
        Last edited by Rachel Scand; 09-05-09, 11:10.
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
          No ideas about finding his birth or marriage at present but as there's only one Charles Powel (one 'L') on the 1881 census born in Fownhope (1854) might that be him ?
          Thanks I am sure that is my man as they were all from Fownhope intially. This is my sister-in-laws family history I am doing for her 65th birthday and I have to say I have never had so many variants in the surnames I am researching it is driving me up the wall. Keeping out of mischief though.
          GWEN

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel Scand View Post
            Oooo look
            1881 census there's a Davies family in Fownhope (image 3) from Radnorshire

David and Anne

with children
            Margaret A (age 23)
            John G?

The Powels are on image 2
            Have you the ref number for that Census if that is Margaret's family then I have been tracing the wrong Davies family scream screamMMMMMMM.
            GWEN

Comment

I found the image for Margaret in Hereford and now more confused but have to go out now so thanks. I did wonder how Charles and Ann got together so may be they married in Herefordshire if they were neighbours so will have to look again for a marriage.
              Last edited by Gwen@coggiecorner; 09-05-09, 17:59.
              GWEN

Comment

Here's Margaret and family in 1871

Piece: 2692; Folio: 18; Page: 2

and in Wales in 1861

Piece: 4206; Folio: 45; Page: 1
                Last edited by Breckland Jane; 09-05-09, 11:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Breckland Jane View Post
                  Here's Margaret and family in 1871

Piece: 2692; Folio: 18; Page: 2

and in Wales in 1861

Piece: 4206; Folio: 45; Page: 1
                  and here are the Powells in Fownhope ~ same ED ~ image/page 10 :(

Ooer ... their ages are moving around a bit but they're at the same address

William (53)
                  Elizabeth (58)
                  Henry (26)
                  William (24)
                  Charles (20)
                  Frederick (16)

Ref :-

RG 10; Piece 2692; Folio 22; Page 10
                  Last edited by Rachel Scand; 09-05-09, 12:14.

Comment

The Powell household in 1861

William Powell (45)
                    Elizabeth (46)
                    Anne M (17)
                    Henry (15)
                    William (12)
                    Charles (9)
                    Frederick (6)

William Apperley (60)
                    Marshall Apperley (26)
                    Eliza Underwood (18)

RG 9; Piece 1817; Folio 16; Page 2

Comment

1851 ~ Fownhope

No Charles, so that would indicate that his age is likely to be correct in 1861

William Powell (37)
                      Elizabeth (37)

James (9)
                      Ann (7)
                      Henry (5)
                      William (2)

HO 107/1977/125/page 12

Comment

You have all been busy while I've been out thank you I am glad I asked for opinions as I now think the Davies family Rachel found is the correct one and not the one I have been looking at. It seems more likely now that the marriage for Charles and Margaret was in Hereford so have to start looking again.
                        GWEN

Comment

Working...
                        X