Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on a census please

Hi Everyone,
    Would anyone be kind enough to have a look at a census image for me please.
    It is 1851 census: HO107/1720/251/11.
    The query is concerning Mary Quarrier, mother, widow, 80.
    The name certainly looks like Quarrier, but is it possible that it is something else?
    Amother problem is that I`m not sure whose mother she is. If she was the mother of the wife of the head would she still be named as "mother"? If not then either Stephen Keen was illegitimate or she remarried.
    I can also see no sign of her on the 1841 census. I found a death of a Mary Quarrier in Newbury, Berks in 1856 followed by a Thomas 2 years later, but they seem to be in Birmingham on the 1851.
    I think I should just give up, and concentrate on someone easier! lol
    Craig

The wife Sophia and the mother Mary both born in Chesham.

Husband Stephen and children all born Little Milpenden/Hilpenden?

This is a marriage between Stephen Keen and a Sophia ? on FreeBDM

Marriages Dec 1847

CAESAR Sophia Farnham 4 139
    CASUR Sophia Farnham 4 139

Can't see a marriage between a Mary and a Quarrier or a Caesar?

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks JBee,
      The birthplaces seem to indicate that she is Sophia`s mother, I don`t think thats a match for the marriage though, as their oldest child is 21 (although I guess it could be a second marriage). Also none of this branch seem to get out of their village much, so Farnham seems to be a little far. Saying that though, having a Caesar in the family could be quite cool! Thanks for looking,
      Craig

Comment

As I suspected, the other birthplace is Little Missenden (spelt with a long "s"), which ties in with the census address.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I have several examples of mothers-in-law being recorded as mother.

It says Mary is a pauper so its possible you might find more information in the parish records, if she was in receipt of parish relief.

The name looks like Quarrier but that doesn't mean its Sophia Keen's maiden name, as whether she is Stephen or Sophia's mother she could have remarried.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

In my tree I have this example:
            1861 RG9-2245: age 82, W ("BENNETT", "mother"); 6 Welford Rd, North Kilworth, Leics

On the basis of other info in my tree, I strongly suspect that she was described as "mother" to the census enumerator, but was actually wife's mother. That would mean that she probably hasn't even been given the right surname - just the presumed surname from the presumed relationship.

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Can't see these people in 1841 though there is a Sophia Keen, born c. 1783:

Class: HO107; Piece 42; Book: 8; Civil Parish: Little Missenden; County: Buckinghamshire; Enumeration District: 8; Folio: 9; Page: 12; Line: 23

Comment

You might need to order one of Sophia's children's birth certs to find her maiden name.

Comment

Thanks Christine and Nell,
                  I think this will need certs, its just that not being able to find her on the 1841 was really bugging me! I`m still in the early stages and just jump in wherever I open my notes
                  JUst hitting brick walls on all my lines now though!
                  Craig

Comment

Stephen and Sophia are on 1841 census in Little Missenden HO107/42/8 folio 5 page 5 both aged 30 with children but no sign of mother or mother in law Mary
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

There's this christening on the igi.

Stephen Keen, 23rd Dec, 1804, West Wycombe.

Parents: William and Frances

Comment

Thanks susan, I hadn't seen that one. Sorry I should have made it clearer that it was only mary I couldn't find in 1841

Comment

Working...
                        X