Lost in 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in 1911

Can anyone find a missing woman on the 1911 census for me please? I've tried all the usual things and variants and wildcards and am still stuck.

She is Margaret Elizabeth GOY nee Maddra 1886 - 1926 born Hull, Yorkshire.

She married James William Goy in 1906 in Hull. I've found him but he's living as a boarder. He says he's been married 6 years which is roughly right and has no children. I had been hoping to find some children for them.

Of Margaret, there is no sign and I even tried variants of her maiden name in case she was with rellies and got entered wrongly.

Is Gertie short for Margaret? I did a search using just the surname Goy and 5 entires came up one of them as follows the year of birth fits

GOY GIRTY F 1886 25 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)
    GWEN

Comment

Could you give me her 1901 census ref as I can't find her then either :o

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen@coggiecorner View Post
        Is Gertie short for Margaret? I did a search using just the surname Goy and 5 entires came up one of them as follows the year of birth fits

GOY GIRTY F 1886 25 Sculcoates Yorkshire East Riding (with York)
        Gwen, I think Gerty is this wife:

Marriages Sep 1910
        Colley Grace Sculcoates 9d 465
        Goy Ernest W Sculcoates 9d 465 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        Hairsine Gertrude Sculcoates 9d 465 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
        Watson James Sculcoates 9d 465

Comment

Any chance she was on holiday in Wales? Or a suffragette who refused to be counted?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Maybe she was visiting someone, but didn't get added to their census form?

Comment

on free bmd i found the marriage as you said between james and margaret maddra in 1906 but i checked her date of birth and it is coming up as June Q 1884 not 1886. i still cant find her on 1911 tried every variation of margaret and elizabeth i could think of. very sorry.
              Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by angelina View Post
                on free bmd i found the marriage as you said between james and margaret maddra in 1906 but i checked her date of birth and it is coming up as June Q 1884 not 1886. i still cant find her on 1911 tried every variation of margaret and elizabeth i could think of. very sorry.
                Oh drat! Sorry Angelina it is 1884, her sister Mary was 1886.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Could you give me her 1901 census ref as I can't find her then either :o
                  I can't find Margaret in 1901 either. I hadn't looked there already as I plumped for 1911, her being married by then. Strange that she's missing twice in a row.

In 1891 she's at 17 Freehold Terrace, Courtney Street, Hull.

1901 her mother Elizabeth and her youngest sister Edith are visiting 41 Edgar Street, Hull. Her brother Ernest 1888 is also missing from this census, as is her father Robert c.1862 (born Selby).

Robert was probably at sea as there were Maddras who owned/captained ships we're not sure yet exactly which ones apart from a much earlier Richard.

Robert died only 4 years later in Hull Royal Infirmary of a brain/skull injury after an accidental fall down stairs. His home address at the time was 7 Stewart's Yard, High Street, Hull.

Comment

Working...
                  X