Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need help sorting out my Bicks!

Hi

I have now got my grandmother's birth certificate and as we thought, her mother was called Helen Bick. She was born in Camberwell, Surrey according to the census records. I found her aged 15 working for an Alexander Brick in the 1881 census RG11 796. I could not find her 10 years earlier until I noticed a listing Hellen aged 5.

It would appear that John and Sarah are her parents and then I come up against my problem, Helen seems to have changed siblings between censuses, have I mixed up two John and Sarahs that both came from Gloucestershire, or where have I gone wrong?

The census references are:

RG9 379 for 1861
    RG 10 850 for 1871

I guess the only truly foolproof way of finding out whether I have got the right parents for Helen Bick is to send for her birth certificate. I reckon the reference is:

Helen Bick
    Q1
    Camberwell, Greater London, Surrey
    1d

Can someone be kind enough to double check please? MTIA

I would be very cautious about searching for anyone who calls themselves Helen in Victorian times. Usually some (often more than 50% whatever their birth name spelling!) of their records will be Ellen or some other derivative of Helen.

Do you know if your Helen married?

Comment

Unless she's of Scottish descent whre Helen seems to be more popular than Ellen
      Jeanette
      Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
        I would be very cautious about searching for anyone who calls themselves Helen in Victorian times. Usually some (often more than 50% whatever their birth name spelling!) of their records will be Ellen or some other derivative of Helen.

Do you know if your Helen married?
        Yes Merry she did. She married Albert Smith of Capel, Surrey:

Dec 1893
        Farnham 2a 209
        Bick Helen
        Smith Albert

I think getting hold of their marriage certificate and his and her birth certificate is my next move to be certain don't you? We know that Helen and their daughter Lilias are buried in St Mary & St Nicholas church, Leatherhead grave nos 31896 and 31804

Comment

I would get the marriage cert first and see what that says - then check that against the census and then get the birth cert!

Comment

Yes, I would definitely say get the marriage certificate before the birth certificate.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
            X