Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to find Wifes name?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice please?

My Great Aunt has been very intrested in my research concerning our family history.

She asked me some time ago to find some information about her Uncle, William Hallam.

My Great Aunt told me that William died during WW2 when Rolls Royce were bombed. I brought his death certificate, and found out that William's cause of death was Electric shock.

A kind lady did a look-up for me at Derby Library and found the inquest report. William worked at Rolls Royce and his machine hadn't been inspected.

My Great Aunt has asked me to try and find some information about William's wife. She seems to remember that William's wife died in a house fire, but unfortunately, she can't remember her name.

There is no relatives mentioned on the death cert, because the coroner was the informant, and the inquest mentions William's widow but doesn't mention her name.

I have asked Derby Library if they could check the electoral roll, but because of the war there were no registers. They checked 1939 and 1945-46 but it is different people living at the address given on the death cert.

I have looked in the marriage indexes, but because William Hallam is a very popular name there are lots of marriages between 1917-1942! My Great Aunt can't remember anything else that could help.

Is there anyway of finding William's wifes name, or is it mission impossible?

Any advice would be truly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post!!

Kind regards

Kelly.

Did William have any children that your great-aunt can remember?

Comment

Hi Merry,

She thinks that they may of had a daughter, but she isn't sure!

Kelly.

Comment

Hmmm lol!!

I presume she believes the death of the wife was after William's death? Would it have also been after the war?

Comment

Have you looked to see if he's on any family trees on GR or Ancestry etc?

Comment

Hi Merry,

Yes, she said she thinks the wife died a few years after William!

Kelly.

Comment

Hi Merry,

I have checked to see if he is on any trees, there was only one person but he doesn't know anything about William!

I have found where he is buried, but unfortunately, there is no headstone.

Kelly.

Comment

It's just possible the local paper might have a notice about the funeral mentioning the mourners.

My grandmother kept cuttings describing various family funerals. But she didn't date them and all the mourners are listed as Mrs H. Pledge etc H being the husband's initial, so I had to do a lot of work to find out how they are related!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Little Nell,

I will contact Derby Library to see if there may have been a notice.

Kelly.

Comment

Kelly

Even though there is no headstone, the cemetery will have a record of who is buried in the grave - his wife may be buried there too!

Sometimes this information is free and sometimes it isn't, it all depends. Worth a try though.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Kelly View Post
                      Hi Merry,

I have checked to see if he is on any trees, there was only one person but he doesn't know anything about William!

I have found where he is buried, but unfortunately, there is no headstone.

Kelly.
                      Have you checked to see if his wife is buried with him?

Comment

Have you checked to see whether the new occupants of the address do not include Mrs Hallam remarried?

Comment

Hi OC,

Sorry, I should have said that I have checked with the cemetery and they have said there is only William buried in the grave.

Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyn in Kent View Post
                            Have you checked to see whether the new occupants of the address do not include Mrs Hallam remarried?
                            OOOh Good idea!!

I will go and have a look now!

Kelly.

Comment

And you could check to see if he left a will.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have searched the marriage indexes to see if the new tenants include Mrs Hallam remarried, and unfortunately, I can't find a marriage.

Hi Kiterunner,

Do you where I could check to see if he left a will?

Kelly.

Comment

At one of the main probate registries, or some county record offices have copies of the National Probate Calendar but I think a lot of them only go up to something like 1943. What year did he die?
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kiterunner,

William died 1942.

Comment

If you can wait till next week, I could check the National Probate Calendar for you?
                                      KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kiterunner,

Thank you for your kind offer, that would be brilliant!

Kelly.

Comment

Working...
                                        X