Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Winner of WDWTYA? 7th May 2009 is....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Winner of WDWTYA? 7th May 2009 is....

KarenMG

Well done Karen!

Well done Karen go for it girl ;;;good luck
    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Brilliant!!!!
      Thanks for picking me and sorry for not posting last night - had a few issues with my internet connection.

Ok:

Stanley Malcolm Robert Gardner, born 25th August 1888 in Bradwell, Oxon to parents William & Martha (Nee Large) Gardner.

1891 Census appears in Aldsworth, Glos with his family, and in 1901 are living in Littlemore, Oxford.

On 25 Dec 1909 he marries Priscilla Shepherd in St Mary & St Nicholas Church in Oxford.
      In 1911 he and his wife are living with his parents and younger brother in Littlemore, Oxford.

Approx 1913 his starts working for the Ashmolean Museum.
      1915 - 1919 - Serves in WW1 for the RFA (reg number 86161), after he is released from duty at the end of the war, he returns to working at the Ashmolean in various capacities (some residential) until he retires in 1961.

He and Priscilla lived at 12 Sidney Street, Oxford.
      In Oct 1947 he was the witness to his mothers death, at this point his role at the Ashmolean was residential.

Once he retires in 1961, according to the electoral roll, he does not move back to Sidney Street, Priscilla is there on her own. She dies in 1968, no family is mentioned in the newspaper article, and according to the cemeteries office Stanley did not purchase her grave, her brother was witness to her death. She is buried alone in a 2 person grave in Rosehill Cemetery, Oxford.

I lose ALL trace of Stanley after her retires in 1961, never to be seen again from what I can see.

Comment

Hi Karen, I remember this man lol!!

What is your source for his retirement in 1961?

Is that the same date he vanishes form the electoral roll?

Comment

I have an email from the Ashmolean detailing all the dates of his employment. I havent checked prior to his retirement whether or not he was back at Sidney Street, i guess I assumed that he was still in residence at the museum - will make a note to check next time I visit the Record Office.
          He doesnt appear to be at home after retirement.

Hes a pain isnt he, especially as other people remember him now! lol

Comment

I take it you don't have Priscilla's death cert? In theory if they were still married it should state whether she was the widow or wife of Stanley, but obviously relying on the knowledge of the informant.

Comment

I do have her death certificate - she is listed as the wife of stanley.
              I know that this doesnt conclude either way whether or not he was still living.

The documents I have are - Birth cert for Stanley, marriage cert, and death cert for Priscilla. Email from Ashmolean about his employment, his service records and medal card. Email from the hospital where she died, copy of announcement in newspaper, map of their address, photo of her grave. 1891, 1901 and 1911 census.

Comment

Have you considered looking for a will for either of them?

Comment

she is listed as the wife of stanley.
                  And who registered the death?

I take it they didn't have any children?

Comment

How many different spellings have you tried for the death registration?

I wonder if the problem is that his death wasn't registred quite in the correct name (or miles off the correct name!), given that he might have been living completely independently of any family?

Comment

Her brother is the informant of her death. He is also related to Stanley by marriage - his brothers wifes sisters husband (very complicated alot of relationships in my tree). Her brothers son in law purchased the grave.
                      No children that I can trace.

Comment

So, I wonder if Stanley made a will? At least if you examine the National Probate index you only have one alphabetical list per year instead of the four you have to look at if you are looking for a death registration!!

Sounlds as if they at least THOUGHT Stanley was alive when Priscilla died. However, I don't know what advice the registrar would give if the informant said "I know she was married, but I don't know her husband's whereabouts or even if he is alive"

Comment

On her death cert what does it say (if anything) about Stanley's occupation?

Comment

Bit of a frustrating one.
                            Where would i go to look at the probate index? Would it involve a trip to the record office again?

Comment

'of 12 Sidney Street Oxford, wife of Stanley Malcolm Robery Gardner, Museum Attendant (retired)'

Comment

The problem is the date as a lot of places that have the probate index don't have it as "late" as when he may have died. We need someone else to come along and answer that!

Ddi the informant of Priscilla's death mention all Stanley's fornames and in the right order? Do you know if he was called "Stanley"? Sometimes having a lot of forenames makes it easier to identify a record as being the right one, but of course it can also make a record harder to locate in the firstplace! lol

Comment

Yep, mentioned in full.
                                  On his service records for some reason he is Malcolm Robert Stanley.
                                  Birth and marriage certificates are Stanley Malcolm Robert.
                                  Ashmolean also have SMR.

Comment

Just put in a call to the local probate office - cant help until i know a date of death unfortunately.

Comment

The York sub probate office will look across five years, but you pay £5 regardless of whether they find anything or not. As you don't know if he even wrote a will, and don't know when he died, this doesn't seem to be the right move. You need to access the 1970's index and have a look yourself.

Does this page help at all (I've not read all of it!)

Probate Registry

Comment

I've looked at the death indexes 1959-1983 inc but only under the correct spelling and (as expected!) didn't find anything!!

I expect the most likely things to have happened are:

Indexed hopelessly incorrectly
                                        Entry hasn't reached the GRO at all
                                        Whoever registered his death didn't know his correct name
                                        He died as an "unknown" person

Comment

Working...
                                        X