Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crew Lists 1861 - 1913 now on FMP

This is a new addition:

"The crew lists 1861-1913 contain indexes to around 30,000 lists of crew members on board vessels: around 270,000 records of individual crewmen. The lists are indexes to original documents, which hold the employment details of individuals.

These documents are not online, but if you find an ancestor listed, you can order the relevant document from the repositories that store them around the country and in Canada. You should bear in mind that the online indexes represent only a fraction of the records available. Many have not yet been transcribed."
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Thanks for highlighting this!

I hoped I might find something, but my relevant ones don't seem to be there (or not yet, anyway). But it's certainly a potentially useful resource.

And it's just too early for Errant Grandfather's trip to Canada. (So that I might find out how he did actually get there, as distinct from how he said he'd got there!)

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Ooh, exciting! I'll have a look. Thanks!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

It looks to me as though at the moment it may just be the same data that is available on the CLIP CD-ROM and on The Genealogist website? (i.e. only from the lists that are held in the UK) Hopefully they will be adding more.
        KiteRunner

Comment

Just read the email, and yes, it is the same database that was on The Genealogist before, but it says you can volunteer to help the CLIPS project transcribe some more crew lists. I've sent in an email volunteering, so I shall wait and see if I get a reply.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
          X