is there a christian name "fax"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there a christian name "fax"?

I looked up a marriage on family search of Eliza Greaves or Graham who married a Fax Young 20/10/1829 at Manchester cathedral.I know she married a Young but has anyone ever heard of the christian name Fax ?? I'm assuming it's a misreading but of what??I'd be grateful for any ideas.There's no help with the census 1841 as Eliza is already on her own with their children.

Liz
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Hi

the only thing that I can think of is Fairfax
    Giz
    畫意能達萬言

Comment

Apparently, it was originally a nickname for someone with long fair hair!

Fairfax - Origin of Fairfax | Encyclopedia.com: Dictionary of First Names
      Giz
      畫意能達萬言

Comment

Apparently, it was originally a nickname for someone with long fair hair!

Fairfax - Origin of Fairfax | Encyclopedia.com: Dictionary of First Names
        Giz
        畫意能達萬言

Comment

I have come across PAX as a forename.
          Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

I don't suppose there are any baps for the children on the IGI?

Comment

Thanks for that Giz,it's a first name I've never come across before although since I posted I've found a few Fax s (but not mine) on the census search page.
              This branch of the family gets more complicated by the minute!

Liz

Comment

Yes Merry just the one so far Esther Young bapt 1830 Manchester Cathedral.Also found Fax seems to have been married before to Esther Stanfield 23/09/1817 at mc cathedral too.
                Liz

Thanks Sue yes I've seen Pax before in fact had a friend at school called Pax !

Comment

Redacted

Comment

there are a handful of Fax as 1st/middle name on Ancestry.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Fax?

I am currently researching the surname Rex in and around the coastal areas of Scarborough in Yorkshire. I have found all sorts of variations of the spelling. One of them was Fax. When I looked at the actually census the F in Fax was in fact an R, difficult to read but plain when magnified. Rex has been used throught the family both as surname and forename.
                      Regards JeanH

Comment

Originally posted by congletonian View Post
                        Yes Merry just the one so far Esther Young bapt 1830 Manchester Cathedral.Also found Fax seems to have been married before to Esther Stanfield 23/09/1817 at mc cathedral too.
                        Liz
                        I expect this is another one:

JANE YOUNG
                        Event(s):
                        Birth:
                        Christening: 25 NOV 1832 Cathedral, Manchester, Lancashire, England
                        Parents:
                        Father: FOX YOUNG
                        Mother: ELIZA
                        Messages: Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record.

Comment

thanks jean
                          I have been wondering if it's a misreading of the name in the registers or just a rare given name.Pity he was dead by 1841 so I can't see the name written for myself.I'd already come across a few strange interpretations of names on my tree during my research but this one is a puzzle !

yes Merry thankyou that is my Jane and I think there should be a John too born about 1835.I'll have a look again and see what the dad's name is on that one!!

thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions

Liz

Comment

Working...
                          X