Divorce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Divorce

I've got a little problem, and want to find dates of a divorce, is it possible?

A contact on GR, has 5 births attributed to my FIL and his first wife, she just did a search using both parents surnames and added all 5, I know there were 3 children. I think the others could have been born after the divorce..... how can I find out for sure?
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Surely if 2 of the children had a different mother the mother's maiden name would be different. Have you tried searching for the births on Ancestry with both surnames?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

I think Sue means all five children were born to the same mother but not necessarily to the same father and some could have been born after the divorce.

OC

Comment

No, No, No Uncle John. I obviously didn't explain properly.

FIL and first wife had 3 children that we know about. (He told me about them)the contact of GR is interested in first wifes family and did a search on Ancestry births, just searching for FIL's surname and the mother's maiden name, and came up with 5. I just don't think the last 2 were Dad's although they had his surname, probably as that was still the surname his wife/ex wife-whatever she was at the time was using!
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

If they were born to the ex-wife after the divorce, but whilst she was still using her first husband's name, you wouldn't be able to tell from the index if she had said the father was her ex-husband or had not given a father's name.

Comment

OC, you've hit it on the head!
            Sue x

Comment

What Merry said!

OC

Comment

The births might show in the index under her married (divorced) name & her new partners surname, if a father was named on the cert.
                Jay

Comment

The more I think about this.....The child was born in 1940, I think Dad was in Italy then doing his bit for the country, and divorced when he returned.

That would make sense wouldn't it?

Should have thought about this a bit more before posting, sorry, but thats for your thoughts.
                  Sue x

Comment

Sorry about misunderstanding the situation. The only consolation is that it probably happened quite often in wartime.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                    X