Another pair of eyes please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another pair of eyes please

Received a marriage cert today so all excited but come to a dead end already.
    I been looking for hours now for William Craig McRae, married in 1912, age 33, so born abt 1879. His Occupation is Groom Domestic, father is James McRae occupation Stableman.
    The marriage took place in The register office Chelsea.
    William married Clara Brown, thats a prob straight away age 27, her father is James Brown (not the singer) LOL who is a cooper (journeyman).
    There are two witness's Margaret McRae and James McRae. I was hoping they are his Parents?
    I know you should not assume anything with this hobby and was hoping to find them in London but no luck.
    I have been told the McRae's were from London and all in service.
    Has anyone time to look and any other ideas please?
    GWEN

Nothing jumps out, sorry.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Sorry Gwen, I couldnt get any clues from WW1 Army records or IGI.

Comment

Doesn't the 1881/91 give a clue to his birthplace?
        Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

HI Gwen

What address did Wm marry from?
          WendyP

Comment

He is surely Scottish with a name like that?

OC

Comment

as you have probably seen there are a few William McRaes born around 1879 but not with the middle name Craig. there is a male McRae born Islington 1880. do you have any details for siblings?
              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

In 1911 I think you'll find your groom listed as

MC RAE WILLIAM CRAIK aged 31 living in Croydon.

Others in the house are James Mc Rae 34, Margaret 39 and Margaret Ellen 7.

Comment

William's relationship is brother, so presumably that is to James.

He doesn't seem to have been born in these places:

Scotland
                  London
                  Middlesex
                  Kent
                  Surrey

:(

Comment

William's relationship is brother, so presumably that is to James.
                    and Margaret is James' wife and the other Margaret is James' daughter.

Comment

sorry been away had to cook hubby his tea to keep him happy.
                      My you have all been busy thanks for your help. The address William lived at was 3 whiteheads Grove Chelsea and Clara 73 Jennings Grove, St James.
                      I loooked for him on the 1911 census it is no wonder I could not find him!
                      Having a bad afternoon I received two certs today and having trouble finding the familes on both the certs. Mind you if Brown was not enough I am now looking for a family in Wales with the name Davies no wonder I cannot find the marriage I need for that!
                      Thanks everyone for your help
                      GWEN

Comment

Just started to look again and by accident did not put the tick in the box to restrict the search to UK and Ireland and look what came up do you think this could be them. Could not look at the orginal image as my credits have ran out but may be I will buy some more what do you think.

1920 US Census
                        William C Mc Rae
                        [William C McRae]
                        Home in 1920: Galveston Ward 1, Galveston, Texas
                        Estimated Birth Year: abt 1880
                        Birthplace: Ireland
                        Relation to Head-of-house: Head
                        Spouse's name: Clara
                        Father's Birth Place: Ireland
                        Mother's Birth Place: Ireland
                        Marital Status: Married
                        Race: White
                        Sex: Male
                        GWEN

Comment

We really need to know what he said for birthplace in 1911. I tried Ireland, Eire, Dublin and Belfast just for starters, but if he's written any of those they are mistranscribed or he spelled the word wrong! lol

Comment

Off to buy some credit for 1911 to try and solve this.
                            Do you think that could be them on the 1920 Census?
                            GWEN

Comment

HOORAY Well done Merry for finding them on the 1911 census
                              Here goes
                              James Mc Rae Head age 34 Born Forfarshire Strathmartin Dundee
                              Margaret Mc Rae Wife age 39 m for 8 years Montgomaryshire Machynlleth
                              Margaret Ellen Mc Rae Daughter age 7 London Upper Holoway
                              William Craig Mc Rae Brother Single age 31 born Forfarshire Bankgate Dundee
                              GWEN

Comment

need some more help where do I go to see the orginal transcripts for Scotland never had to trace any scots before. I have to go daughter just popped in be back later.
                                GWEN

Comment

Scotland's People has the original Census pages (unlike Ancestry), but don't ask me anything more about SP, as all my ancestors are from Sarff of Watford! lol

Comment

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk is the place.

Access to statutory, OPR and census indexes costs 6GBP. For this fee, you will receive 30 "page credits" which are valid for 90 consecutive days. Viewing a page of index results costs 1 credit and each page will contain up to 25 search results. Viewing an image costs 5 credits (equivalent to 1GBP). Your session begins when payment has been authorised and additional credits may be purchased in 6GBP increments. The session will restart with each new credit purchase

.you could see if the 10 free credits is still going on Register - Ancestral Scotland
                                    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

*preens self, but says nothing*

OC

Comment

This looks hopeful in 1881:

James McCrae head 31 farm servant b Kirkinch Tarves, Forfarshire
                                        Helen McCrae wife 33 b Tealing, Forfarshire
                                        Jane McCrae 6 dau b Strathmartine, Forfarshire
                                        James McCrae 4 son b Strathmartine, Forfarshire
                                        Arthur McCrae 3 son b Strathmartine, Forfarshire
                                        William McCrae 1 son b Mains, Forfarshire

living at Dighty Toll, Mains, Angus

Comment

Working...
                                        X