Birth Registration Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Registration Query

This is more a question of the whys and wherefores of registration!
    I can't name names - living people involved but - Mrs S gets divorced (not sure of date)& marries Mr C, 3rd qtr 1945. In 1st qtr 1946 she gives birth to a child registered under Mr S's name. Twenty years later the birth is reregistered under Mr C's name.

Why would the birth have been registered under first surname if the mother was already married to Mr C
    Sue

Are you sure the child was born after the marriage, or could it be that s/he was born before the marriage but just not registered until the next quarter?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'm only going by the BMD indexes Kite. I thought that there was a time limit on registering a birth - there's a whole quarter between the marriage and the birth registrations.

BTW I've "known" the "child" all my life (not well enough to ask questions like this tho') and have always known him as "C".
      Sue

Comment

Oh yes, you're right, sorry, I thought you said 4th quarter, not 3rd!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Maybe she was pregnant with her ex-husband's child when she married Mr C?

OC

Comment

Or could it be that the marriage to Mr C was invalid for some reason?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Maybe the divorce was later than you thought?? That might make the second marriage invalid at the time. Have you looked for another marriage to Mr C?

Alternatively the war was only just ending - perhaps there were problems because of that

Anne

Comment

Are you sure you've found the right child. There could be another couple with the same married/maiden names.
                Jay

Comment

I haven't looked for another marriage but will do so now as I've since found another child born after the marriage to Mr C but registered under Mr S's name and then reregistered 20 years later! All the children after this were registered under the right name.

Jay - I'm reasonably confident with the names

OC - I thought the pregnancy with first husbands child was a possibility until I found second child!
                  Sue

Comment

Sue

Is there a corresponding 20-years-later -marriage? Maybe the first marriage wasn't valid, as Anne said.

OC

Comment

I'm working my way through the marriage index as we speak, OC!

Children born after 1950 are registered under Mr C's name. The two reregistrations weren't done at the same time - there's a three year gap. I wondered if it was something the children wanted when they turned 21 for some reason?

I saw one of these "reregistrations" recently and something he said made me look at his side of the family - I wish I'd asked more! Or that I hadn't looked!
                      Sue

Comment

LOL - you're hooked now, Sue. You'll niggle away at it until you get to the bottom of the story.

I wouldn't mind betting that there was no divorce - or at least not until much later.

Anne

Comment

Well, I've trawled the marriage index upto and including 1969 (the year that the second child reregistered) and there's no second marriage.

I'll have to wait until the next family funeral (I only see him at funerals!) and ask him about his family tree in a roundabout way - I don't have the cheek to phone him and ask outright!
                          Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X