Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Wills and Probate?

Redacted
    Last edited by Penelope; 07-05-09, 10:58.

You can get a copy of any will for a fiver from the probate office, as long as you have a rough idea of the date of death and the area the person died in.
    Gwynne

Comment

Wills are open documents. Anyone can view them. Either get to Holborn, write to York, or ask someone to check on your behalf.

Bear in mind, though, that some wills take a bit of time to prove. I bust my arm just after Mum died and didn't get it all sorted out within the six months that they allow you before Inheritance Tax is due.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Talking of open documents, Penelope, you do realise that this thread is on an open board which is being picked up by Google spiders and the like even now, don't you?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Redacted
          Last edited by Penelope; 06-05-21, 13:43.

Comment

I would think your best bet is to look through the marriage index to find her final marriage then, so that you know what name to ask for.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Ah isn't it weird, I can do this easily if it's 100 or 200 years back, but when it comes to applying all I know to a contemporary situation... brain goes out the window! Totally clueless.

Comment

If she got married since 1984 in England or Wales then it should come up easily on a search on ancestry, findmypast or Family Relatives because it (the post-1984 marriage index) is fully computerised and therefore fully searchable by name.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Aw ta, KiteRunner.

Comment

Working...
                  X