Ribbon Weaving in Coventry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ribbon Weaving in Coventry

The former personnel manager of Cash's in Foleshill, Coventry is giving a talk on the history of ribbon weaving and techniques at Bedworth Arts Centre tomorrow.

if anyone is interested in attending, please pm me for details.
    Gwynne

If anyone does go I'd be interested to find out how far back their records go!
    One of my Spitalfields weaving families was there between 1823 and 1831. They had one son who was born in Foleshill in 1826 and the next one was born in Spitalfields. The fathers occupation on the Foleshill baptism is "Silk Ribbon Weaver" I always thought it would probably have been Cash's but never thought they might have records!
    Sue

Comment

As the direct descendant of Bedworth ribbon weavers I would be v interested in this, but can't make it tomorrow. Drat!

Dolly

Comment

why cant it be a saturday *wails*

would love to go but v. short notice, any ideas how long/what times it is at Gwynne?
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Ignore my previous post! I've looked on Cash's website and they didn't start trading until the 1840s. My Spitalfields family were obviously just trying their luck at the local cottage industry!
          Sue

Comment

It's tomorrow morning at 10am, Julie. It will be over by noon, for sure.

It's only just been opened up to a wider audience as space is limited and groups connected to the ribbon weaving project at the Arts Centre had priority.

I'll be going, it's a pal of mine giving the talk. I'll take lots of pics.
            Gwynne

Comment

Who have you got in Foleshill Sue? My family were there from 1740 until about 1965.
              Let's re-arrange the deck-chairs

Comment

Wow ... I'm currently researching some of my rellies from Warks area who were ribbon weavers ...
                Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Dudley View Post
                  Who have you got in Foleshill Sue? My family were there from 1740 until about 1965.
                  Thomas Piercy and his wife Mary Bunney went to Foleshill from Spitalfields sometime after the birth of a son in 1823. In 1826 they had another son in Red House Lane, Foleshill. The baptism records (from the Wesleyan Chapel) show the maternal grandparents as William and Mary Bunney but no mention of the paternal g'parents which makes me wonder if Mary was born in Foleshill originally. Unfortunately there's also a possible Mary Bunney in Shoreditch so I don't suppose I'll ever find out! They were back in Spitalfields by 1831 for the birth of the next son!
                  Sue

Comment

There are still Bunneys in Bedworth, Sue.
                    Gwynne

Comment

I also have a load of ribbon weavers from Fillongley and Ryton/Bulkington, near Coventry. Ribbon weaving was a major cottage industry in the area.

My main surnames there are Slingsby and Sparkes. There were also some Bunneys in Bulkington, if I remember rightly.

Comment

Need any photos of the area, Mary?

OH had some ribbon weavers in Bedworth and Foleshill.
                        Gwynne

Comment

I don't suppose any of the current Bunneys (am I the only one who finds that funny) know whether any of their ancestors moved to London!
                          Sue

Comment

There used to be a Bunny's shop in Bedworth, Sue, and I think it moved to Nuneaton. It may be worth looking on 118118 and writing to a few.

If I recognise one tomorrow, I'll ask, I knew one of them when he was a school governor years ago.
                            Gwynne

Comment

Originally posted by Guinevere View Post
                              It's tomorrow morning at 10am, Julie. It will be over by noon, for sure.

It's only just been opened up to a wider audience as space is limited and groups connected to the ribbon weaving project at the Arts Centre had priority.

I'll be going, it's a pal of mine giving the talk. I'll take lots of pics.
                              *sobs*

It'd take me at least an hour to get to Hartshill, after that I havent a clue, I know of Bedworth but not that well.

I'lll have to be content with your pix Gwynne.

(oh btw thanks for the card, it arrived this morning) x
                              Julie
                              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Bedworth is just off the M6, Julie, or about half an hour further from Hartshill, via Nuneaton. I'm hopeless with roads.

Glad it arrived safely.
                                Gwynne

Comment

Originally posted by Guinevere View Post
                                  Need any photos of the area, Mary?
                                  Hi Gwynne, that's very kind of you, but I visited Bulkington last time I was over, and got a photo of the church. This summer I'll probably go back, and visit Fillongley too.

I don't suppose you ever visit Coventry archives, do you? (she says, hopefully...)

Comment

I don't Mary, but give me a nudge when the schools break up for summer and I'll go over for you.

Let me know when you're over we could maybe "do lunch".
                                    Gwynne

Comment

It was a really interesting talk and Len brought along a lot of pictures to illustrate the talk.

Photos in the photos forum, apologies for the quality.
                                      Gwynne

Comment

Hi Gwynne,

I'm positive I replied to your message the same day, but there's no sign of my reply - goodness knows what happened to it. Sorry about that.

I should love to do lunch next time I'm over - not sure yet when it'll be, but sometime in August or September. I'll let you know well in advance.

Thanks for the kind offer to visit the Cov archives, but I really only meant if you happened to be going yourself - there's no need to make a special trip on my account. I have 3 or 4 ROs I want to visit this trip, and I'm still trying to work out how much I can fit in. Fortunately they're all in the Midlands

Thanks for the photos on the other thread - it was interesting to see old pictures of Ryton, where a lot of my ancestors came from.

Comment

Working...
                                        X