Message boards on rootsweb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Message boards on rootsweb question

Having become a member of the Guild of one-name studies, category B don't you know, I have decided to join their message board.
    Of course I have been swamped with messages and have managed to filter them into a separate folder and have requested that I join the digest instead of the L.
    The question is that I can access the archives of the message board on roots web but not the 'live' stuff. Does the live stuff just appear on your e-mail to be archived later. I had presumed there would be a forum page like they have on tribal pages.
    And once it is just the digest format, can you reply if you wish?
    Many thanks
    Jeanie
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

I know the answer to the last question - yes, if you get the digest, you can still reply, although sometimes you will find that the discussion has moved on in the meantime. I'm not sure about the other question.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you Kite,
      It has been a good exercise in finding out my comfort zone re computers. Felt quite overwhelmed and useless. Kept looking at the info sent from the message board administrator but making no sense of it.
      Will have to send her an email confessing my ignorance.
      Searching for:
      English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

If you're replying to a Digest, you'll need to make sure you amend the header so that it indicates what you're replying to, and not just "Digest on date".

You may also need to watch out that you reply in plain text not rich text or html. Certainly the mailing list which is most active for me has that as a rule

Christine.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Christine,
          Many thanks for your imput.
          Do your message board messages just appear in your e-mail or is there a special place that you view them?
          Searching for:

Comment

The messages just appear in my email.

You need to make sure the address is in your Contacts so that it doesn't get diverted to Spam!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Many thanks Christine,
              I am sort of getting the hang of it now. It's a shame you cant answer them from archives or at least if you can, I do not know how to do it.
              As with all things it will enter my knowledge base but at the moment it seems as if disparate subjects are being talked about and I find it hard to grasp the whole essence of the topic or topics.
              Searching for:

Comment

You can browse the Rootsweb mailing list archives at
                RootsWeb: Genealogy Mailing Lists
                No need to be subscribed.

Be very careful if you subscribe in digest mode. It is very easy to upset a mailing list by including a complete digest, rather than a single message in a reply.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks Guy.
                  Searching for:

Comment

Working...
                  X