Poplar, tower hamlets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poplar, tower hamlets

Hi, I am interested in 2 streets in Poplar - Willis Street and Chrisp Street.
    If anyone has any photos of the streets or any info on them I would be very grateful.
    My ancestors lived on the streets for many generations and ran fish shops from the homes. Theres was a Pub next to the house at 9 Willis Street and we know that they also frequented the Guy Earl Of Warwick pub on Chrisp Street.
    Thanks
    Louise
    Masterson, Thurtell and Newcomb

Louise

Your best bet is to find the local history centre or archives for this area as they will have records and probably photos too.

You might also be lucky if you google them!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Louise,

I find the following :-

The East End then and now 1

Idea Store - Created and Managed by Tower Hamlets Council - Information- Local Studies / Archives

Local Studies / Archives
      Bancroft Library
      277 Bancroft Road, London E1 4DQ

Local History: 020 7364 1290
      Archives: 020 7364 1289
      Fax: 020 7364 1292
      email: localhistory@towerhamlets.gov.uk

Tower Hamlets Local History Library and Archives is open 9am to 8pm on Tuesday and Thursday, 9am to 6pm on Friday, and 9am to 5pm on Saturday. We recommend that you make an appointment if you wish to use material on microfilm or microfiche.

Clare

Comment

Louise, are you after old photos of the streets or current ones?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Louise

Not much help at all I'm afraid, but just wanted to say that I was born in Canton Street, Poplar, and Mum told me that my very first outing in my pram was to Chrisp Street market... this was 1962.

The whole area has completely changed now, Dad was round the other day (he is 79 and was born & bred in that area of Poplar) we went on the Google Street website and 'drove' up and down that area. Dad only recognised one pub and his old school (Farrance Street School) everything else had gone and was rebuilt.

My family came up to Poplar/Limehouse area in the late 1700's, early 1800's from Devon to work on the ships they were building for the Napoleonic War in the 'new' Poplar docks.

Clare is spot on with the local studies library in Bancroft Road, they have everything there...maps, electoral rolls, maps, parish records, and photo's. It's a very easy place to find, just off the Mile End Road, about a 3 min walk from Stepney Green Tube.

Sandra

Comment

Hello to you all,
            thanks for all the good advise and web site addresses.
            to Kiterunner - yes it is old photo's that i am after - i wonder if they do a "then & now" book on Poplar?
            i live in Derbyshire so i'm limited on how much research i can do for the family from London - i'll have to take a week off and spend it all in the archives!!
            thanks again and any further ideas please let me know,
            Louise

Comment

Louise

Also look through East End's Free Art & History.

and Contents: Pictures and

Main page

even if only for interest generally.

Carol

Comment

I can guarantee there will be local history books with photos. If you can find some titles you should be able to borrow them through your local library for a small reservation fee.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

This site might have something for you.Poplar High Street - History of Poplar High Street through the last two hundred years.

Comment

This site has some very old maps that you can download MAPCO Map And Plan Collection Online : Civitas Londinum - London And Westminster c1563.

Comment

It would have been 277 Bancroft Road archives but they had plans to close it in December I have no idea what has happened! I have been there many times it has thousands of photos of the East End.

Save Bancroft Library : Vision

People were fighting against it and in fact there was a EDM in the House of Commons about it.

UK Parliament - Early Day Motions By Details

But that would have been the best bet for anything especially photos of London's East End (Tower Hamlets).

As as been said this was the address and phone number whether they are still open at the moment

Welcome to OPA Living, where excellence meets craftsmanship. Discover award-winning furniture pieces, all meticulously handcrafted in the UK. Elevate your space with our collection, combining timeless design with British artisanal expertise. Explore OPA Living today and experience the artistry of home furniture.

or there is an alternative place I don't know it really isn't clear what is happening in terms of accessing the archives, well not to me anyway. It looks like the campaign was successful in keeping it intact at Bancroft Road but it also is unclear to me if you can still access them now!

Local History and Archives
                      277 Bancroft Road
                      London
                      E1 4DQ
                      020 73641290

It is classed as the 2nd best archives in London number 1 is Westminster. It has been a big thing around here the fight to at least keep the archives intact in one place.

Edit to say: I knew Chrisp Street very well in the early 1970's my aunt lived in Hay Currie Street which is just off Chrisp Street across the Willis Street Bridge which is over the railway tracks. She lived in a prefab, it was mostly flats and a shopping precinct - Chrisp Street market. All the old houses had been bombed in WW2 and they cleared it in the 60's. Haven't been there for years my aunt moved out in 1979 to Chigwell, Essex.
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-05-09, 20:43.

Comment

Working...
                      X