Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

British Library 19th century newspapers subscription site!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Library 19th century newspapers subscription site!!!!

Just noticed the ad for it on ancestry:

British Newspapers - Home

•Search 49 local and national titles using keywords
    •See your search terms in context
    •View complete articles from the Penny Illustrated Paper and The Graphic free of charge
    •OR buy a 24-hour pass for £6.99 allowing you to view up to 100 articles, or a seven-day pass with 200 article views for £9.99
    •OR access the whole site free if you are a member of a subscribing institution

My local library does actually give me access to it, but I'm still tempted to get one of those passes when I have some time to spare, for the comfort of looking at it in my own home and on my own computer! Should come in very useful for people who don't have access to it at their local library.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

I do so miss having my own password. Cheshire libraries refuses to pay for it.
    If it's to be, it's up to me.
    Searching for:
    English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I can look at it at home for free. All I need to do is enter my Library card number in the box. Hooray for Cumbria Library Service!!!!

Anne

Comment

I wonder if my Cleveland library card would work? Must find it and try.

Comment

surrey library advise home internet access for this site and others but idont live in surrey bboo hoo
          wye surrey/london/birmingham
          lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
          hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
          ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
          herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
          armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

I've only just discovered that Oxfordshire Library has it, but it's not at all obvious on their website - you have to click on the Times Online section first, enter your library number and only then does it appear.

Comment

Blackberry - my library only allows access to the 19C newspaper archive and unfortunately not the Times :(
              It seems they all have different policies.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                I can look at it at home for free. All I need to do is enter my Library card number in the box. Hooray for Cumbria Library Service!!!!

Anne
                This is brilliant! I've just been on to Cumbria Libraries website and downloaded lots of stuff about my cousin's husband's family. What a rum lot they were and no mistake.

Thanks for the thread Kiterunner.

Comment

Don't forget you can join Lancashire Libraries for free, they post out your membership card and number which acts as your pin (mine arrived within two days). As soon as you have joined online you are given a temporary pin number till your proper membership card arrives through the post and you can access online The Times, 18th/19th Burney Collection and the 19th Century British Library Newspapers plus lots of other useful online databases.

I should have added I don't live anywhere near Lancashire. It is all done from the comfort of my armchair.

Leiko

Comment

Hi Leiko,

Is this a loop hole in their system? It seems strange that any one can join regardless of where they live. But, if this is the case, I am very tempted to join the library and get the same benefits as you!!

Sandra

Comment

Going by Clevelands site they only have the Gale site and not the Times either but just seen can use ancestry through that also Find my Past , nice to know ;;;
                      borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Bedfordshire used to have a similar system to the one Lancashire now has, where you could join online regardless of where you lived, but when Gale found out about it they told Bedfordshire they were breaking their licence agreement and it had to stop. So most likely the same will happen with Lancs one of these days.
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes I was very interested to see that I can access Ancestry, shall be going to the library I think....

Comment

Hi yes I think it might be a loophole - I am sure all good things will come to an end.

With the Bedfordshire Libraries I only had online membership (a virtual member) before they closed off access, but because Lancashire actually post out your membership card you are not classed as an online member only. Most libraries require you to 'visit in person' which is why I think Lancashire has found a loophole. How long it will last before it is closed I am not sure.

Leiko

Comment

I have sent the Lancashire Library link to quite a few people over time as far away as Australia and they have all joined on line no problem. I myself am now a member of Derbyshire , Lancashire and London Libraries as they all have different resources.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                                Is this a loop hole in their system? It seems strange that any one can join regardless of where they live. But, if this is the case, I am very tempted to join the library and get the same benefits as you!!
                                Bedfordshire Libraries used to issue library cards to all and sundry up to a year or so ago. They then got a slapped wrist from one of the database providers because they were contravening their licence. "Foreign" memberships were all terminated soon after.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Hertfordshire Library service online is accessible by your library card number to be able to access the Times back to 1745ish and of course we can also access the daily newspapers, and a few periodicals but cannot get the local newspapers. At present, I can go to Colindale to do any work I want on the local papers, but that is coming to an end a lot quicker than was initially thought, and by the end of this year there will be very little left at Colindale to access, then at some time around 2012 all the newspapers are going to Yorkshire somewhere. The British Library will have the microfilm coies but I do not know how many local papers will have been microfilmed by early next year so all this area is a little worrying at present.

Janet

Comment

Thank you all for the info on this thread, it's going to be very useful.

'The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.' Bertrand Russel.

Comment

I can access the papers & The Times at home via my library card.
                                      Jay

Comment

Thanks Kiterunner very useful.

Comment

Working...
                                        X