Help sort out witnesses please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help sort out witnesses please

I'm transcribing the Worksop Priory marriages, and I can't quite figure out how many witnesses there were at this one and what their names were!

Leland Noel clerk of the Parish of Campden in the County of Gloucester and Mary Arabella Foljambe of this Parish spinster married... by licence ... thirtieth day of December 1824 by John Eyre, Archdeacon.
    Signatures say Leland Noel and Mary Arabella Foljambe
    Witnesses: George Savile Foljambe Elizth Foljambe
    H(?) Willoughby Baptist W Noel

I would think the first line of witnesses consisted of two names, "George Savile Foljambe" and "Elizth Foljambe", if it weren't for the fact that I've copied out several marriages which were conducted by George Savile, Officiating Minister. So do you think "Foljambe" is the name of one of the witnesses? And what about "Baptist"? Is one of the witnesses called H Willoughby Baptist, or is it a separate name? (W Noel is definitely in a different handwriting but not sure about Willoughby and Baptist).

Any help gratefully received! It's just that I have to fill in boxes with the witnesses' names and not sure what to put where!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Hi Kite

I have just put Elizabeth Foljambe in Family Search and there is a bap in1848. Parents George Saville Foljambe.

Hope that helps with him.
    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Thanks, Lin. I wonder whether there was a family connection with George Savile, officiating minister, or if that was just a coincidence? Although I suppose that doesn't matter for my purposes. Now, what about that "Baptist" bit, I wonder?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Kite, given that the marriage ceremony was conducted by an Archdeacon then to my mind it is entirely possible and logical that H. Willoughby was recorded as being a Baptist rather than C of E. For a normal country church service they would not have bothered.
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Ah, right, thanks, Sally.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Hi kite

Do you think this could then be one fo the witness George Saville Foljambe in the 1861 census

if you search for Elizabeth A Foljambe bn 1848 Dusseldorf Germany

RG9; Piece: 2419; Folio: 51; Page: 14
            WendyP

Comment

Thanks, Wendy, looks very likely. Think I know what to put in the boxes now, thanks.
              KiteRunner

Comment

HI Kite

I know its not what you wanted but heres Leylands wife Mary Amelia with her daughter in a house headed by an Elizabeth Faljombe age 77 in the house there is also an unmarried female Willoughby

Take a look if you enter

Mary A Noel bn circa 1802 Ecclesfield yks

and this reference

HO107; Piece: 2072; Folio: 683; Page: 4;
                WendyP

Comment

Ooh, thanks, Wendy. So it does look as though "Willoughby" would be the witness's surname and Baptist their denomination. I've never seen an entry like that before.
                  KiteRunner

Comment

hi

and incase you come across any more Faljambe here a wonderful site which also includes the ones we've seen above.

Medieval English genealogy: Pedigree of Foljambe
                    WendyP

Comment

Ah, so a lot of them were called Savile. I bet George Savile officiating minister was a distant relative of theirs.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Kite

Still been trecking on google and found this relating to Baptist W Noel (him being the brother of Gerard Noel who was the father of Leyland Noel) you may have to scroll gently up to page 256 for it to make sense though

English Hymns: Their Authors and History - Google Book Search
                        WendyP

Comment

Oh, so his name was Baptist W Noel after all. I was so sure the "Baptist" was in a different hand - he must have done it to confuse me!
                          KiteRunner

Comment

A big thanks to Wendy for all your help.
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                            X