Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheffield Archives?

Hi

Is any one planning on going to Sheffield Archives in the near future? If so please could I ask for a look up? I would like to know the marriage of Jonathon Woolhouse and Elizabeth (surname unknown) c1812 and possibly Ecclesfield.

Many thanks, Sandra

If someone was going and tried to look this up for you, I don't think they would know where to start looking unless there is a marriage index available for Sheffield that covers that year, to be honest. I don't think anyone would have the time to look through all the possible parishes for the whole of 1812.

BUT... could this be them, on the IGI? 11 June 1811 Cathedral St. Peter, Sheffield, Jonathan Woolhouse and Elizabeth Elewell.

In which case if someone is going then they would know exactly what to look at!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kite,

I wondered about that after I had posted the message. I think there is a good chance that the marriage took place in Ecclesfield but I am not absolutely sure. I think Jonathon came from Ecclesfield and Elizabeth's birth place is stated as Ecclesfield on the 1851 Census.

I have seen the Sheffield Cathedral entry, but I really have no idea whether it is the correct marriage.

Sandra
      Last edited by Sherbertrose; 06-05-09, 18:27.

Comment

I think you need to look for supporting evidence, such as transcribed baptisms (though I expect that's where you got the names!). And Sheffield Cathedral might well be like Manchester Cathedral, a place for mass weddings at knock-down prices, no questions asked.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I've recently been looking at some of OH's rellies. Many of them were baptised at Cathedral Saint Peter in Sheffield and the census says born Ecclesfield. I don't think the places are far apart.
          Kit

Comment

We have a pic of the cathedral in the wiki, Image:Cathedral Church of St Peter & St Paul, Sheffield, South Yorkshire LTFF.jpg - Family Tree Forum. It is in the centre of Sheffield, a short walk from the station. Ecclesfield is one of the suburbs of Sheffield. I imagine that people from all over sheffield choose to marry in the cathedral
            Lynn

Comment

Hi John,

The names are proven. Jonathon came from his daughter Harriet's second marriage certificate and Elizabeth came from the 1851 census. She has three grandchildren living with her and her future son in Law!!

Kit, Your expereince with Sheffield is interesting and it may be that that Jonathon and Elizabeth Elewell are the right couple.... I am just wary of putting two and two together and making five.

Sandra

Comment

I can tell you that Sheffield Archives has NOT indexed any marriages. It does mean trawling through each church individually.

The "UP" side is that there weren't that many churches in 1812 - like most cities, a great number were built in the Victorian period.

The "DOWN" side is that there are so many PRs for the cathedral that it takes ages just doing a single year.

have you come across the Sheffield Records website? (formerly known as Sheffield Indexers)

Sheffield Records Online - 1841,1851,1861 census, directories, probate, burials, cutlers, poll book etc
                Vicky

Comment

There is a Jonathan Woolhouse mentioned in the 1852 White's directory - a springknife cutter, living at 277 Allen St.
                  Son of your chap?
                  Vicky

Comment

Hi Vicky,

This could well be the son of Jonathon. The whole family was involved in the cutlery industry.

Sandra

Comment

Hi Vicky,

I have just been having another look at Sheffield Records on line. I have viewed it before but they seem to have added a lot more since I last looked. I think I have managed to find some information relating to the occupation of my 4x great grandfather Joseph Ulley. He is listed as the father of three of his sons - they were apprentices he was a tailor.

Sandra

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
                        I think I have managed to find some information relating to the occupation of my 4x great grandfather Joseph Ulley.
                        Did they name the reservoir after him? :D:D
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Nice one John,

There is a possibility that the family may have come from there. But, this family is well researched (the work had been done before I started with this game) and you would not believe the derivatives there are. Ulley Hulley, Ully, Hawley, Halley, Ulleye. And, that does not allow for mistranscriptions!!

Sandra

Comment

Going back to the marriage, if you can get a lookup of that cathedral marriage entry it will tell you what parishes they came from so maybe it will say Ecclesfield.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                            X