Best Family Tree Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Family Tree Software?

Quite a few threads mentioning Family Tree Maker which links to Ancestry.co.uk Is that currently thought to be the best software for the subject?

I am quite content using ancestry online, but it struck me it would be nice to have my own backup of my data on my PC which I can then share with my family via CD etc.

Thanks.

Ashley.

If you search for Family Tree Software in the title you will find there have been a couple of other threads on this - plus a poll - this may be of help to you
    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Ashley

It is preferable to keep your master copy of your tree on your own computer. Do any alterations on that and then export a gedcom file and import that to Ancestry.

Ancestry do have times when the site is down and then you wouldn't be able to access your tree if that was the only place you had it.

I use Family Tree Maker.
      I am still using the 2006 version because I prefer it to the 2009 that I do have as well. Mind you, if you have never used 2006 you may as well go for 2009 if thats the program you decide to go for.

Comment

I just re-read your posting.

Your family would need to have FTM on their computer to be able to view it. Unless they had another genealogy software then you could export a gedcom to them.

Still think you should get a program of your own but to share with your family: they could be a guest on your Ancestry tree or you could start one on Tribal Pages that they could also have access to. If you don't give them the editing rights just viewing they can't alter anything.

www.tribalpages.com

Comment

It all depends whether you want the most popular/cheapest/best for your needs or just the best!!

Family Historian has a 30 day trial and incidentally also has a free read only version for sending your tree to other people.

Downloads

Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

There isn't a "best" programme as such, some have more features than others and more options for tree printing but the main difference is that some are free to download and others you have to purchase.

For sharing with others you really want a programme that offers something more than basic tree printing and also has options for creating and printing different reports (for example a kinship report is useful for someone to consult when viewing a tree).

To one degree or another most programmes will offer a reports option, some are more comprehensive than others.

Even if you were not looking to share your tree with others using a programme is strongly advised, you can access your tree at any time and don't have to be online or rely on sites such as Ancestry. You can also create backup copies of your tree to disc/external drive etc and just for that reason it is worth it. If you were to lose you internet connection or an online site had security issues you may lose your tree, when you consider how much time and money you spend researching then the cost of a purchased software programme is negligible, think of it as insurance, you might not need it, but then again you might.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Originally posted by MarionH View Post
              If you search for Family Tree Software in the title you will find there have been a couple of other threads on this - plus a poll - this may be of help to you
              Where's the poll, I can't find it?

Comment

This was the software poll:
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                  Even if you were not looking to share your tree with others using a programme is strongly advised, you can access your tree at any time and don't have to be online or rely on sites such as Ancestry. You can also create backup copies of your tree to disc/external drive etc and just for that reason it is worth it.

Thanks Glen, you make a good point, thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                    Got it, thanks - I thought it would be in this section. Pity the poll is closed.

Comment

I have just made the switch to FH after years of using a very out-dated and basic Generations.
                      I tried every trial going.
                      After a few teething problems - but only because FH does SO much more than Generations ever could, and navigates differently - I am very happy with the switch and will not be going back.
                      The capabilities of FH are immense. I like the fact that you can customise it to your own needs - creating your own events, setting up the tree diagrams to show exactly what is important for you - not what the designers think you want, the add-ons (gedcom census for example), the forums of other users etc etc etc the list goes on and on. The more that you realise it does, the more you think about what you would like it to be able to do, and the chances are someone knows how you can do it, if not you can add it to a 'wishlist' to be included in the next upgrade.

I would really recommend downloading the trial for a month and having a real good play around with it - probably create a tree from scratch so that you can get to learn more about the functions and how to use it rather than just navigating around an imported gedcom.

The first time I looked at it, I dismissed it after about an hour because it was so different to what I was used to. I am SO glad I went back and gave it another go. I really think that its helping me to be more thorough in my research.

Comment

I agree Karen. I tried the 30 day trial for Family Historian. I'm hooked! It's amazing! Just waiting for V4 to be released.

Comment

Originally posted by helxx View Post
                          I agree Karen. I tried the 30 day trial for Family Historian. I'm hooked! It's amazing! Just waiting for V4 to be released.
                          It's out ..... and its really good.
                          Caroline
                          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Am loving V4. Why did I not discover FH years ago. I am confused by some of 'research' because I didnt have the ability to record things correctly, FH really encourages you to use sources, attach documents etc etc where my old program never did.

Comment

Is it??????? When????? Off to place my order. Thanks folks!

Comment

About a week or so I think.
                                Was no big announcement from what I gather.

Comment

Family Historian User Groups

It was announced in the Bulletin and in the FH Mailing List and on the website at the beginning of last week. I received my pre-order last Thursday (but I had already downloaded the V4 trial 'cos I couldn't wait).

The Mailing List is well worth signing up for normally, but is very busy with all sort of hints and tips at the moment so even more useful.
                                  Caroline

Comment

I have tried to do a search for this answer, but I have not been able to find anything. Is it possible to export from ancestry.co.uk to FTM?

Comment

This new version of Family Historian... does it have the clever little extra that the new Roots Magic has? The ability to run the programme anywhere from your USB stick.

I have FTM 2006 currently and found out that I can't use it on a stick. I saw the review of the new Roots Magic in Your Family Tree mag that arrived on my door mat last week. There's a lot of fans of Family Historian on this forum and I wonderd if that programme allows USB stick use. If it does, I think I might change over.

Comment

Originally posted by All Usernames Gone View Post
                                        I have tried to do a search for this answer, but I have not been able to find anything. Is it possible to export from ancestry.co.uk to FTM?
                                        What you need to do is export a GEDCOM file from Ancestry which you can then open in Family Tree Maker.

If you need help with either of these steps then let me know and I will give you some more instructions.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X