Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next Step Suggestions Please

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and world of Genealogy, and I have come to the end of the trail online and I am looking for a little advice on where my next step will be.

I have traced my family back using personal family records and various online census information to the 1811 birth of my grt, grt, grt Granddad Cornelius Fulwood (married to Charlotte Harrison) from Ilkeston, Derbyshire. This is where it gets confusing, the surname as been mis-spelt as Fullwood, Fulward that I have seen so far, but the questionable part is that the 1841 census lists it as Fullard, (they had typed his first name as Neal too, although in pencil Cornelius is written on the original document). The 1851 census showing the correct spelling of Fulwood so I assumed the 1841 census was just a wrong spelling on the documents.

I have not been able to go any further back yet to found his parents, until last night when I came across a record on FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records which suggests his parents were John Fullard and Ann (e) Beardsley. So I am not sure if the spelling of the surname of the family changed or was just miswritten.

What I need to do now, is confirm if John Fullard and Ann Beardsley are indeed the parents of Cornelius. If I can confirm that then I can look at the spellings of the name.

So that is my question to you experts on here, would my first steps be the parish records, I assume at the Derbyshire Record Office in Matlock?

Advice and suggestions welcomed.

Thank you.

Ashley

Ashley

Have you purchased any birth, marriage and death certs on your search backwards to confirm your findings?

It is so easy, as I know from my own research, to make a huge mistake when just relying on census records. I ended up researching the wrong family back 200 years by ommiting to buy a marriage cert and just thinking I had found the right family on the census.

Don't be so hung up on spellings, people in those days were mostly illiterate, things when they were written down by someone who could write were written how they sounded. There were no rules saying certain things were spelt this way.

Yes, the Derbyshire record office is in Matlock.

Comment

Also

The family search site is a great searching tool but it is far from complete. Many parishes haven't been filmed. You do need to check with the original parish registers.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
        Ashley

Have you purchased any birth, marriage and death certs on your search backwards to confirm your findings?

It is so easy, as I know from my own research, to make a huge mistake when just relying on census records. I ended up researching the wrong family back 200 years by ommiting to buy a marriage cert and just thinking I had found the right family on the census.

Hi Margaret,

I haven't purchased any birth certificates because I already had most of the info back to my grt, grt Granddad Eli and his sons and daughers (and there were lots lol), so the census info kinda just backed up what we already know, in fact I even found a local book with pictures of Eli and his son's who formed their own cricket team in Long Eaton made up entirely of Fulwood's. That info and the census info led me to Cornelious which I am 99.9% certain from my records to be the father of Eli, so assuming it is I wanted to see what my next step would be to confirm Coernelious father. But I will be dotting my i's and crossing my t's over the next week or two also.

I will be more than likely leaving the East Midlands at the end of June so I wanted to do as much as I can now before I move where possible.

Comment

Looks like your making that trip to Matlock then

Comment

Ashley

I have just done a search on the Family Search site for what you said you had found about Cornelius.

Beware

It's a pedigree resource file. Basically that means it was put together by a member of the Latter Day Saints (LDS) church for religious purposes probably. These can be a great help or a complete work of fiction.
            The best records on that site are on the IGI part, the International Genealogical Index.

Make sure you are looking at extracted records not submitted ones. These will say near to the bottom that the source was a birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date. It will also give a batch number.

Make that trip to Matlock.
            Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 06-05-09, 04:27.

Comment

Thanks Margaret that is helpful to know. Matlock will make for a nice day out, not been in years so am looking forward to it

Comment

If you look at this site

Hugh Wallis's Genealogical Web Sites

The parishes and dates that records have been filmed have been listed

Comment

This website may be helpful. I have used it a lot with my ancestors in the area.

WIRKSWORTH Parish Records 1600-1900, Portal

Sandra

Comment

Ashley,

welcome to FTF firstly.

next step I would say would be like Margaret has said to goto Matlock RO.

I would also consider joining the Derbyshire mailing list I subscribe to a few of these lists and you never know when you will need that all imprortant bit of info.

RootsWeb: Genealogy Mailing Lists: England : DERBYSGEN
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Surname spellings weren't so fixed in those days as they are now. A lot of people couldn't read and write, so if you asked them how to spell their surname they wouldn't be able to tell you and whoever was writing it down (census enumerator, registrar, vicar etc) would write it how they thought it should be spelt.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thank you for the welcome and advice for the mailing list. The explanation of surname spellings makes logical sense too Kite Runner, so I guess there may not be such a mystery with the surname after all, and my next step is to prove that John and Ann are parents of Cornelius.

Comment

Working...
                        X