Birth Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Birth Registration

Is it illegal to register a child twice under different surnames?
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

You wouldn't happen to mean you have seen two index entries with different surnames which appear to be for the same birth?

Comment

Indeed I would Merry...distant-ish relatives you understand :o
      Jeanette

Comment

Most likely they parents were not married but both attended the registration, so both names could go on the cert. What year was it?

Comment

2 different years Merry! 1941 and 1942...so the child is still alive. In 1941 (when he was actually born) he has his mother's maiden surname which is very unusual. Parent's marry in late 1941. 2nd registration in 1942 in father's (?) surname with mother's unusual maiden name. My Mum has confirmed that he was born in 1941 and, besides, the 1942 registration is in the quarter before his sister was registered so can't be the right one
          Jeanette

Comment

There's no death either
            Jeanette

Comment

Could be he was re-registered when they married?
              Tracy

Comment

The GRO site states the following:

If the natural parents have married each other since the birth, they need to re-register the birth so that a new birth record can be created showing the child as a child of the parents’ marriage.

Jane

Comment

Thanks Tracy and Jane. Would they not have had to have made a note beside the two entries then?

Also, what about children that aren't registered? Is that illegal? Cos they had 3 of those aswell :D
                  Jeanette

Comment

As Jane says, it's a re-registration. Doesn't matter which cert you send for, you'll get the amended one, which has superceded the original one.

OC

Comment

some times if the mum and dad are caught out lying they have to register the birth again.
                      i have twin cousins and they are down three times in mums name and three times in dads altough one of them for the dads name is a reregister.
                      the meercat.

Comment

Hiya Meercat Hope you are well

The mother of this child had a terribly hard life and I wouldn't be surprised if she was made to tell some lies :(
                        Jeanette

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          As Jane says, it's a re-registration. Doesn't matter which cert you send for, you'll get the amended one, which has superceded the original one.

OC
                          I agree with this!

Comment

hi jeannette
                            my auntie and uncle were just thick and the judge was none to pleased either.
                            i am well, hope you are.
                            the meercat.

Comment

Aye, well this family weren't the brightest either :D

Merry....I agree to but would they not make a note by the sides of the entries on the index?(Think they do something similiar with adoptions???) There are no notes next to either entry
                              Jeanette

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanette In Yorkshire View Post
                                Aye, well this family weren't the brightest either :D

Merry....I agree to but would they not make a note by the sides of the entries on the index?(Think they do something similiar with adoptions???) There are no notes next to either entry
                                Yes there should be a ref to the "other" index entry. I expect it just got overlooked :(

Comment

Thanks Merry. So nice to see you thinking the best of people....unlike me :D
                                  Jeanette

Comment

What were you thinking they did? Went and registered an imaginary baby? It would be easier to do a re-registration, wouldn't it? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                      I agree with this!
                                      Sorry, I have to disagree with this.

I have a copy of my uncle's original birth certificate. It states at the end that the birth was re-registered under the Legitimacy Act 1926 and gives the date of re-registration. When I received it from the GRO they sent a covering letter stating that the certificate would be of no use for passport applications etc. and the replacement certificate would need to be ordered.

My uncle was born before the 1926 Act so perhaps with more recent births they would only send the replacement certificate.

Jane

Comment

No, just thinking as they weren't very bright and knowing what a B the father was, it may not have been overlooked in the indexes and that they just went ahead and did it regardless...either they didn't realise it was illegal, or they did and didn't care, or the mother was forced under duress if you know what I mean
                                        Jeanette

Comment

Working...
                                        X