Joyful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joyful

Hi all, I'm new to this site & wonder if anyone can advise me please, my mum & her siblings were brought up in a childrens home due to their mother leaving them, she took the youngest child with her, I know her name & when & where she was born, I have also managed to find out what happened to my Grandmother, but, I can't find any trace of the daughter she took with her after she left, it would have been about 1925, Grandmother gave birth to a son in 1931 by another man whom she later married, the daughter would have been about 7 years old, I have been in contact with her son who knew nothing at all about any of this, now, if Ruby, the daughter, had been around when he was born he's sure he would have know of her existence, I have checked deaths particularly from 1924 - 1931 & can't find that she died as a child, I am now thinking that maybe she also ended up in a home & was maybe adopted but how do I find out. I have checked marriages & deaths up until about 1950 but she has just vanished. HELP......:

Joy

Hello and welcome to FTF.

A difficult problem you have. All I can suggest off the top of my head is that you look for her on all the contact sites, leaving discreet messages - she may know nothing of her origins and it would be devastating for her to find out off a website!

Have you searched GR to see if she is there under her birth name? You could try contacting Social Services in the area where her mother was living just before the new baby to the new man was born, to see if they hold any files, although they will probably not tell you if she has been adopted.

Ah! If you send for her original birth cert, then it will say "adopted" on it. At least you will then know which search route you need to follow.

OC

Comment

Ah! If you send for her original birth cert, then it will say "adopted" on it. At least you will then know which search route you need to follow.
      It will if she was legally adopted after 1927 (the act was passed in 1927, but I think the first adoptions following the act were in 1928, but others on here will know better).

Comment

Joyful

Thanks for your advice everyone, where is the cheapest place to buy the birth certificate from? I suppose I have to order a full certificate?

Comment

It depends on the district the birth was registered. All certs are £7 from the GRO (online orders), but many local offices are the same price.

GRO:

Registration Services - Certificate Ordering Service

Comment

Yes, full cert - the short one won't tell you anything you want to know and there will be no mention of adoption on it.

Merry - as she took the youngest child with her, I'm hoping she may have hung onto her until after 1927.

OC

Comment

Its possible that the child may have taken her stepfather's surname.

I wouldn't rely on whether or not someone remembered her. Memories are as fallible as any other source. Many things that my ancestors "remembered" didn't happen at all or happened at different times and places.

My grandmother always said her mother had died when she (grannie) was only 7. Grannie was 11 and her mother died at home.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My grandmother always said her mother had died when she (grannie) was only 7. Grannie was 11 and her mother died at home
                And my grandmother said her mother died when gran was aged about 5 or 6. In fact gran was 48 when her mother died and she went to the funeral I realise this is a bit extreme, but I'm just illustrating how it can be surprising what info people can decide is the truth!

Comment

I suppose its possible the son may just be saying he can't remember or if he does its a bit hazy because he doesn't want to talk about it but as I don't know him its hard to tell. Maybe you have an opinion on this Joy.

But I think if he maintains this then she must have not been around by the time he was old enough to know and remember her.

I don't know what age that is but I think its 3 or 4 years old that you start to retain memory before that apparently you don't.

I think that getting her birth certificate is your first starting point as everyone has said.

Good luck its a sounds a daunting task but not impossible.

Let us know how you get on or if you need any more help and advice.

Comment

Joy - can't help with your search, but just a wee warning. This particular board (Research Q&A) is "public" so threads are picked up by Google and other search engines. That can be a mixed blessing. The "Adoptions and Reunions" board is "private" (members only) so names won't be picked up by search engines.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Uncle John - perhaps a MOD will see this and move it to the Adoptions board, please?

OC

Comment

joyful

Thanks for all the advice, I have looked at whether she took her stepfathers name but she didn't, I have ordered the birth certificate, so I wait with anticipation.
                        I will let you all know if I have any luck, thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Thanks for the reminder Uncle John - perhaps a MOD will see this and move it to the Adoptions board, please?

OC
                          OC, it depends whether Joy wants it moved or not.
                          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Righty-ho Kate.

OC

Comment

joyful

Hi Uncle John & OC
                              I'm not to bothered about this thread being on here at the moment, should it get a little more "personal" with names etc I will continue it privately, & let you know.
                              Cheers me dears.

Comment

Working...
                              X