Mayleston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayleston

I've had a quick (fruitless) look on the GedCom database, but...

Does anyone have anyone called Mayleston(e) (given or family name) in their tree? It occurs in a friend's tree, and I've been trying to see whether I can help her with her tree a bit.

The name seems to be extremely rare, whether as given or family name.
    In my friend's tree it occurs in conjunction with the surname HALDON (not HOLDEN! ;)) in London.
    Googling suggests it is also linked with MOODIE/MUDIE in Scotland (and Australia) - which agrees with James (possibly middle name Mayleston) HALDON, the father of that family, giving PoB as Scotland.

I have some dormant ScotlandsPeople credits, but I'm not sure whether I'm far enough along to justfy shelling out to revive them to try for more info in Scotland.

I have found more modern records in the London Gazette and the Flight Magazine archives, plus traces of the Moodie link in the Australian National Archives. It's just joining them all up that seems to be a problem.

The HALDON family seems to have Marina as a feminine given name - also quite unusual.

I'm not expecting a deluge of answers, but it would be interesting to know if anyone else has such a link; and it would be helpful to be alerted to any other sources of info where the name crops up.

... Just thought... I haven't tried the Times Digital Archive - *makes mental note*.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

IGI has none either !

Not one anywhere
    Jess

Comment

This death:

Name: Samuel Mayleston Haldon
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
      Year of Registration: 1882
      Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
      Age at Death: 38
      District: Dartford
      County: Kent
      Volume: 2a
      Page: 280

may belong to Samuel M Haldon (1851 and 1861 census) whose father is James M Halden in 1861 (he is 71 at this point and borh in Scotland)

Dad's death is spelled:

Name: James Mailston Haldon
      Estimated Birth Year: abt 1790
      Year of Registration: 1867
      Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
      Age at Death: 77
      District: St Saviour Southwark
      County: London, Surrey
      Volume: 1d
      Page: 2

seems to be part of the family you found?

Comment

???????

Marriage:
        Name: James Mailstone Wilson Malyon
        Year of Registration: 1841
        Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
        District: Islington
        County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
        Volume: 3
        Page: 177

Comment

Thanks, Merry

I've just begun to pick up on these extras - but not that 1841 marriage. I've found James's 1853 marriage as James Mayelston HALDON. That has given a whole new lease of life to the Google route. It's beginning to look as if Mayelston(e) is the earlier version of the name, and Mailston(e) a variant.

Christine
          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-05-09, 18:43. Reason: corrected source from "death reg" to "marriage"
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            ???????

Marriage:
            Name: James Mailstone Wilson Malyon
            Year of Registration: 1841
            Quarter of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep
            District: Islington
            County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
            Volume: 3
            Page: 177
            That's so frustrating!

It does look as if it's probably my target man - but the GRO index page is typed. It seems almost certain that something has been "lost in translation"!
            An upper-case M is not so very different from an upper-case H, in some scripts. That could get you from MALYON to HALYON...

I'll have to try to track down the other couples. The marriage date would be about right for Marina and Samuel's births.

And I must find his wives deaths - because he's a widower by 1851 - and 1861.

Christine

Comment

Christine

That would make him James Hailstone Wilson Halyon, hsr har har.

OC

Comment

There seem to be quite a lot of people called MALYON, so my other theory is that it's a conflated from someone's bad writing. Perhaps some other entry in the register was a bit close.

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Christine

That would make him James Hailstone Wilson Halyon, hsr har har.

OC
                  Thank you, OC - no need to get silly just because the surname isn't quite the same as yours! ;)

Christine

Comment

I think I may have cracked it!

There are four women, but only three men - apparently.

It could make a lot more sense if that four-part name were actually two two-part names?

Christine

Comment

You mean the typist forgot the carriage return and then only used one lot of volume and page numbers?

Comment

I believe I've just made a breakthrough!

There's a family of MAYELSTONs born to James MAYELSTON(N) & Sarah, 1790-1805, and baptised in independent chapels in East London / Surrey. The Stockwell New Chapel Independent, Lambeth, Surrey gives MMN...
                        Sarah's maiden name is..... HOLDEN(S) aaaargh!

I rather think that James, supposedly b 1790-ish, is either the James b 14 JUN 1796 and bap 17 AUG 1796 Tabernacle Ind St Luke, Finsbury, or he's the elder brother Samuel and uses the younger brother's name for some reason (of which there could be a number):
                        Samuel MAYELSTON b 21 JAN 1790, bap 17 FEB 1790 Tabernacle Ind St Luke, Finsbury.

For some reason, the family is using Sarah's surname with James's as a second given name. Maybe it was really a double-barrelled name, but they gave up on it?

Christine

IGI batches: C037161 C096621 C097911
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-05-09, 19:52. Reason: correcting a copy-paste

Comment

Wasn't James b in Scotland?

Comment

You mean the typist forgot the carriage return and then only used one lot of volume and page numbers?
                            Well that would do it, too, wouldn't it? If you're copy-typing and your eye skips a row mid-typing.

Christine

Comment

Wasn't James b in Scotland?
                              Well, he certainly says so. I reckon the family comes from Scotland, ultimately.

If he had been b in Scotland, then they had 2 months to move south. (Only one month had he really been Samuel). I suppose the only way to test the hypothesis is to try to find the others, to see where they say they were born.

I have something equally unexpected in OH's tree. The ship's muster says James Whitehead was b St Crux, York in 1800-01. A reliable source (I haven't checked for myself yet) gives this baptism for him: bap 5 Apr 1800 St Thomas, Portsea.

Christine

Comment

*Folds arms, smiles pleasantly and sits back and waits*

OC

Comment

I have found both these in the London Gazette:
                                  15 Dec 1862 James Mayleston Haldon, late of No. 4, Wilton-square, Middlesex, and carrying on business as a Merchant, at Nos. 215 and 216, Gresham-house, and at No. 14, Great Winchester-street, both in the city of London...
                                  20 Mar 1866: James Mayleston Haldon (sued as James Mailstone Haldon and as James Haldon), late of No. 20A, Pudding-lane, in the city of London, and residing at No. 120, Newington-causeway. in the county of Surrey, Merchant...
                                  Christine

Comment

OC
                                    *Makes OC a sam-wij*

Comment

Just found lots more in the London Gazette with the MAYELSTON spelling.

Some court cases, some about a patent.

Christine

Comment

OC
                                        Would you like a cup of tea?

I'm dying of thirst, myself, but keep on falling into the "just one more record" trap!!

Chrisitne

Comment

Working...
                                        X