Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• have i claimed someone elses family?

Hi
    After a recent contact from GR and one from Ancestry, i thought i had better check my research concerning Thomas Hummerston as the two contacts have different parents to mine, but we all have the same wives and children for him.

What i think i can prove is that Thomas was the son of James and Elizabeth Hammerstone and brother to Henry (my 3x GGF).
    I have found the family on 1851 census living in Bishopsgate, with both boys ages given as 10. James the father is listed as shoe maker, which it also says on Henrys marriage cert.(which i have).
    Have Henry in 1861 married with family, but on re-checking, i am beginning to think i have "claimed" Thomas from another family and followed his line.
    As the brothers were born before registration began, I know i will have to look for PRs,but havent been able to get up to London yet.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please:o
    as i seem to be going round in circles.
    I thought i had finished with this branch but they keep coming back to haunt me :(
    Thanks for looking

Marie
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Marie

Have you got the census ref for them in 1851? I can't find them.

If the boys were 10 in 1851 they weren't pre registration.

Comment

sorry that should read 1841 and no sign in 1851.
      Have the parents in 1851 lodging in St Dunstan in the East
      Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1531; Folio: 124; Page: 42; GSU roll: 174761.
      Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

How have your contacts proved their findings? Certs? Parish regs? Guesswork? Best fit?

OC

Comment

It sounds as though you would need Thomas's marriage certificate to see what it says for father's name and occupation.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That would help, but i have no idea who he married yet, as i cannot find any one suitable on the census.
            One contact has only worked from the censi and have not had any more contact with the second.

Comment

I could send for the one i found originally, that would tell me one way or the other i suppose

Comment

If you have a contact working SOLELY from censuses, then the only way they can have attributed diferent parents to Thomas is by finding him on a later census with his father in the same household.

There are two basis possibilities on this:
                • TWO Thomases, so you are both right or
                • The Thomas you have found is a cousin, not a brother of Henry
                I can appreciate that they name may be spelt in various ways, let alone mistranscribed, but have you checked through, to establish whether there is more than one Thomas?
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

not much help but my " london " hummerstons all originated in hertfordshire.
                  Lorraine

Comment

As 1841 census does not show relationships its quite possible that one of the boys (or both) did not belong to James and ELizabeth but were visiting relatives.
                    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

thanks Judith , that may well be true of Thomas as i have no certs for him. But i do know that James was the father of Henry as he is named on his marriage cert.
                      I think i am going to have to send for the marriage of Thomas and see who his father was, and arrange a trip to London, later in the year to see if i can find any PRs for the family.

Thanks for everyones thoughts and ideas
                      Marie

Comment

Parishregister.com has 3 Hummerston baptisms in St George in the East 1826-1835 - Eliza, Henry & Thomas John.
                        A small charge will bring up full details.
                        There is one, Francis, for the same dates at St. Dunstan, Stepney.
                        Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

thank you Helen, looks like i do have the right familyafter all.
                          Thanks to everyone else .

With regard to the GR contact, he has been back in touch, and all his tree comes from the censii, no other sources. So i think i will just ignore it!!!

Thanks again
                          Marie

PS I have ordered the PR CD. so will post it when i get it for look-ups if anyone needs them.

Comment

Marie, please don't post offering to do lookups from the CD as there are likely to be copyright issues etc.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
                            X