Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

William Mear(e)s of Haverfordwest (HELP)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Mear(e)s of Haverfordwest (HELP)

Hello
    I am trying to find out where William was born but have come up against a brick wall. :o He was born in 1796 but I don't know where. He was living in Haverfordwest, Cordwainer/Shoemaker until his death in 1865. I have tried contacting the RO and a lovely lady tried to help but also could find nothing about his birth, which seems odd. I know there was another family in the same area Samuel Owen Meares, a curate but it's not clear where he was from either and I can find no connection. :( Owen is a name that runs through our family down to the latest generation and a possible marriage connection. There are Meares in the Pembrokeshire area back to a house in Eastington but no way to connect. I am so keen to get back and find out more about him and now can't think what to do next? Is there anyone out there who can point me in the right direction, what records should I be looking for? I've been doing this for 10 years now and can't bear to think I am finally stuck in the late 1700's. HELP!!! If the RO in H'west can't help, is it hopeless? I've paid for 3 hours search which helped with his family and I've got them all now - oh it's sooo frustrating.
    Buttercup
    Buttercup

Buttercup, if he died in 1865 then haven't you found him on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 censuses? There should be an indication of where he was born on those, unless he's one of those annoying "not known" people?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Buttercup

No, not hopeless at all!

When, who and where did he marry? What does the marriage record say?

OC

Comment

Okay, on the 1861 census he says he was born "Haverfordwest, St Marys", and on the 1851 he says Haverfordwest.
        KiteRunner

Comment

There were lots of non-conformists in Haverfordwest, so have you tried the records for the various chapels etc?
          KiteRunner

Comment

Hi KR & OC - I have tried searching everything I can think of, yes I know where he was on the census back to 1841, the name was spelled incorrectly sometimes. Although it says he was born in H'west the RO have no mention of a birth or baptism and I have searched the ones I can access online, non conformist and all! If the RO can't find it, can I? Thanks
            Buttercup

Comment

Sorry OC I didn't answer your question, he married Mary Richards in Haroldston St Issels church on 26th Sept 1829 and had three children. Two were baptised in St Martin, one St Mary, Mary the eldest I'm not sure, neither are the RO. Mary was a Widow and he had not been married before to my knowledge or any records.
              Buttercup

Comment

ohhhh! Four children :o
                Buttercup

Comment

And Elizabeth the youngest died in 1835 at 2 days, sniff, then Mum died 6 months later in 1836, heartbreaking! The three remaining went on to marry and two, Samuel and Emma had enormous families. :D
                  Buttercup

Comment

Was he "of the parish" at his marriage? Not that that means a lot, he only needed to be there for three weeks.

Cordwainers served apprenticeships. Maybe search for apprenticeship records - either in the Records Office (pauper's apprenticeships) or with the Company of Cordwainers - sorry, don't know where their records are kept, but I expect Google does!

In the meantime, the classic next step is to widen your search for his baptism to neighbouring parishes and work outwards in circles. It is estimated (but that's all it is, an estimate!) that in the early 1800s, marriage partners were bor within five miles of each other on AVERAGE.

It may also pay to investigate Samuel Owen Meares too. Is there any possibility your man was illegitimate and baptised Owen?

Just to cheer you up...I recently found a baptism I had been looking for, for over 30 years. I had looked in the proverbial EVERYWHERE, lol.

A contact who knew I was looking for this bap, pointed out that he was on a Methodist Circuit register, which is not on line and the original is not catalogued in any meaningful way and is stored under a location title which was about 80 miles from where my man was born and lived. I doubt if I would ever have looked at this register myself, even if I had known it existed.

County Records Office researchers are usually very good at looking at their own records, but don't often think outside the box, I find.

OC

Comment

OC I'm not sure I've got another 20 years :D

There are two other marriages on the page that I had'nt noticed before, although it say of this parifh, the other two state H'west, his does not! And theirs was 'by Banns' as opposed to the other two 'by licence'.

I find it odd that I cannot find a connection to the Samuel Owen Meares Curate but I can't see where he's from either and neither can the RO, I think you may be right about them though, helpful as they've been they have only confirmed, mostly, what I already knew. Though they did make a point of saying that both WIlliam and Mary could sign their names. I will widen my search, should I do that through IGI? I know that they are not always correct, if submitted. I am prepared to believe anything really.

I feel that it's right there under my nose. Thanks for the response
                      Buttercup

Comment

I've had a bit of a ferret about and although I can tell you where and when Samuel Owen Meares was born and died - I cannot find a baptism! This is very odd, for a minister of religion!

Samuels' wife's maiden name was Clunn and I can't find a baptism for her either. Very odd.

Sam and Sarah were married 20 Dec 1832 at Uzmaston. the marriage is not on line, so you may have to pay for an extract from the records, if they are held at the Records Office. This may or may not tell you anything of course, but if their fathers are named, that might be a start.

Samuel Owen Meares born 17 Jan 1807 Prendergast Pembs
                        died 7 November 1868 aged 61 - perpetual curate of St Martin for 28 years.

Sarah Elizabeth, his relict for 30 years(????) d 1880(??) aged 63 years.

Samuel Owen Meares m Sarah Elizabeth Clunn, 20 December 1832 Uzmaston.

Incidentally, Ancestry has listed the children as born in IRELAND, for some strange reason - it says no such thing on the image.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC - I may well send for Samuel Owen Meares BC, though I have a feeling they couldn't find anything for him either! There is a family of Meares from Eastington who are very interesting - and there's a Charlotte Owen (with interesting connections too and maybe the Owen connection I've been looking for) who married a John Meares. I believe she had a daughter Maria Meares who married a Rev. John H Austen from Dorset. They - some of this family ended up in Alverstoke in Hampshire and I know we have a later connection to Alverstoke. Coincidence? My head feels so woolly, I feel like I'm losing the plot, or barking up the wrong family tree!! Incidentally I did previously follow Samuel's family, John his son, who married three times (Rev. also) moved to a prison in England and then back to H'west where he died and is buried. My Meares family had the habit of using surnames of the previous generation as a second name, quite handy in some ways.

Thank you for looking, I had contemplated going to Wales but unless I think it will help, there seems no point in spending the money. This is an expensive hobby! :(:D:D
                          Buttercup

Comment

Sorry, but you won't get a BC for Samuel Owen Meares as he was born before civil reg.

His birth date is on his gravestone but I cannot see a matching baptism anywhere, certainly not in Prendergast.

Perhaps forget Samuel for now and see if you can find apprentice records for William.

OC

Comment

OK - thanks again
                              Buttercup

Comment

Hello, it's quite some time since I was on here but I wanted to let you know that I finally solved the puzzle of William Meares birth. He was born illegitimately to a William Meares and Mary Owen. Six years later she did marry his father (perhaps he was not free as a servant - could have lost his job?) and in 1807 gave birth to Samuel Owen Meares who i had been trying to connect him with for at least 20 odd years. The reason I was able to prove it was that William their father died in 1806 and Mary then married a Daniel Wilcox. In 1851 Mary is in the house of Samuel Owen Meares (named as a lodger, named spelt wrongly) but next in order to his wife. It's possible other people did not know who she was (though Samuel was legitimate) but I now like to believe that the brother did know of their relationship and I was so pleased to connect them. I know it's ages since it was discussed on here but I got so much help I wanted to let you know that there was a result - finally 😀 🤣. Hope it makes sense after all this time.
                                Buttercup

Comment

Originally posted by Buttercup View Post
                                  Hello, it's quite some time since I was on here but I wanted to let you know that I finally solved the puzzle of William Meares birth. He was born illegitimately to a William Meares and Mary Owen. Six years later she did marry his father (perhaps he was not free as a servant - could have lost his job?) and in 1807 gave birth to Samuel Owen Meares who i had been trying to connect him with for at least 20 odd years. The reason I was able to prove it was that William their father died in 1806 and Mary then married a Daniel Wilcox. In 1851 Mary is in the house of Samuel Owen Meares (named as a lodger, named spelt wrongly) but next in order to his wife. It's possible other people did not know who she was (though Samuel was legitimate) but I now like to believe that the brother did know of their relationship and I was so pleased to connect them. I know it's ages since it was discussed on here but I got so much help I wanted to let you know that there was a result - finally 😀 🤣. Hope it makes sense after all this time.
                                  What a lovely result Buttercup it's great to be able to tick another box to say you now know where he was born and who his parents were. FAB!
                                  Julie
                                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Great result. We always say never give up and this is a lovely example.
                                    Lin

Searching Lowe, Everitt, Hurt and Dunns in Nottingham

Comment

Working...
                                    X