How to find Birdwisa.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find Birdwisa.

I am trying to find out where my great grandfather originates from and also his family ancestors. What I have so far that can be proven is:
    Married Ann McKinnon 10/03/1882 in St. Columba's gaelic church (C.O.S.) Glasgow.
    Died 13/03/1915 in 34 Blackburn Street, Glasgow.
    1901 census on the "Gypsy" in Lamlash Bay Arran on the river Clyde with two of his sons.
    On his marriage certificate it states father "Victor Julian Birdwisa seaman merchant service deceased" and mother "Mary Louisa Delony or Delany". The oral tradition in the family was that he was French Canadian or French!!
    I have his B.O.T. seamans book No. 162967 whick covers has voyages from June 1901 to June 1905. It gives his birth as 1850 and born in Toronto. On the mormon site it gives him as born 1844 in France, no idea who gave that info. Over the years he became known as Augustas. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find more on him?
    Last edited by BEARGER; 04-05-09, 17:36.

Sorry, but what was your great-grandfather's name? I don't think you've said in your post?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

This is presumably the rest of the family

Source Citation: Parish: Govan; ED: 16; Page: 5; Line: 2; Roll: CSSCT1901_324; Year: 1901.

Annie Birdwisa 45 Ross, Argyllshire
      Louisa Birdwisa 14 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
      Charles Birdwisa 13 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
      Maggie Birdwisa 10 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
      Angus Birdwisa 7 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
      Flora Birdwisa 2 Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Living in Govan , County Lanarkshire
      Jess

Comment

So according to ancestry, his name on the 1901 Scotland census is "Julian Agustus Birdwiss", presumably supposed to say Julian Augustus Birdwisa. And it gives his age as 52 and says British Subject born France.
        KiteRunner

Comment

On the 1891 census Annie and the children are transcribed as Pridwisa on ancestry.
          KiteRunner

Comment

LOUISA DELOMA BIRDWISA
            Birth: 09 SEP 1886 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

AUGUSTA JULINE BIRDWISA
            Death: 1914 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
            Jess

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
              Sorry, but what was your great-grandfather's name? I don't think you've said in your post?
              Sorry, what a numpty! His name is Gustave Julien Birdwisa.

Comment

If his parents were British, then his birth might be listed on the GRO Overseas Indexes, available on findmypast. And possibly his father's death too.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
                  This is presumably the rest of the family

Source Citation: Parish: Govan; ED: 16; Page: 5; Line: 2; Roll: CSSCT1901_324; Year: 1901.

Annie Birdwisa 45 Ross, Argyllshire
                  Louisa Birdwisa 14 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                  Charles Birdwisa 13 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                  Maggie Birdwisa 10 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                  Angus Birdwisa 7 Glasgow, Lanarkshire
                  Flora Birdwisa 2 Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Living in Govan , County Lanarkshire
                  Yes thats them, Ross is the Ross of Mull on the Isle of Mull.

Comment

Does it actually say he was born in France on the image of the 1901 census entry, or have ancestry got that wrong?
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      Does it actually say he was born in France on the image of the 1901 census entry, or have ancestry got that wrong?
                      It does state France on the 1901 census, plus two words I can't make out. Another member of the family told me it meant he was a British subject! On his seamans book its says he was born in Canada in 1850.

Comment

[QUOTE=Jessbowbag;1676070]LOUISA DELOMA BIRDWISA
                        Birth: 09 SEP 1886 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

DELOMA? Where did you find this?

Comment

That Louisa Deloma is from a submitted entry on the IGI, but since it gives her father's name as Augusta Juline Birdwisa, it doesn't look likely to be very accurate.
                          KiteRunner

Comment

I have just done a search on SP and there are eight results for the name Birdwisa (exact spelling, all areas, all dates). Sorry, I don't have any current credits to look.

There was no match for Louisa Birdwisa but I didn't try any alternate spellings.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                              I have just done a search on SP and there are eight results for the name Birdwisa (exact spelling, all areas, all dates). Sorry, I don't have any current credits to look.

There was no match for Louisa Birdwisa but I didn't try any alternate spellings.

OC
                              Thanks but I have all the info that SP can give - I think. Myself and others have been looking to find where Gustave came from. I was hoping somebody would know what to do with his seamans discharge book.

Thanks agian.

Comment

Birdwisa doesn't sound very French or Canadian to me, unless it is a phonetic rendering of something like "Berdouisa" or even Budweiser, lol!

When does his seaman's book start?

EDIT - ok, I take that back! Google brings up a lot of people called Birdwisa! (But that doesn't prove it hasn't been mangled from something else, of course)

OC
                                Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 04-05-09, 22:56.

Comment

This may or may not help:

CLIP - Crew List Index Project - Finding seafarers on crew lists
                                  KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                    Birdwisa doesn't sound very French or Canadian to me, unless it is a phonetic rendering of something like "Berdouisa" or even Budweiser, lol!
                                    Budweiser came to mind when I saw the name as well, OC. :D
                                    The name Budweiser is derived from Budweis, the German name of the Czech city České Budějovice.
                                    Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                    X