Have i made a break through ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have i made a break through ?

After searching off and on for 2 Cooper marriages, i MAY have made a partial break through with both,

Thomas Cooper born abt 1766 is only on the 1841 census, So Leicestershire is the only birthplace i have, he dies in 1848 and buried in Burton Lazars.

He married twice, first to Alice ? with 7? children and then Mary ? with 3 children, all the children born Burton Lazars

Today i found a marriage on Free Reg in Stathern, Thomas Cooper of Harby married Alice Geezing 9 Jan 1788, a child Thomas is baptised 11 Feb 1788 in Stathern, the only child of theirs born there and would make it 8 children with Alice

IF this couple are my Thomas and Alice they moved to Burton Lazars and the next child is baptised 23 Aug 1789,
    Their youngest child is my 2x great grandmother, born 1804

Alice dies in 1805

Thomas marries Mary ? where? when ?

Mary is on the 1851 census as born Stathern, their first child Ruth born 12 July 1812

I have found a submitted entry on IGI, giving a marriage of 1811 and looking at the family group record, the baptism of a Elizabeth Harris on 29 Aug 1813 with Thomas Cooper and Mary as parents.

Now Harby and Stathern are pretty close on the map and Stathern and Burton Lazars are around 3 hours walking distance according to Google

Questions

!) Do you think i am on the right track ?

2) Is Elizabeth Harris, Thomas`s child, i only know of 3 Ruth (1812-1815), Ruth (1816) and Ann (1817)

3) Could Marys previous name be Harris either maiden or from another marriage ?

4) How do i proove this Thomas and Alice are mine, please ? (have already discounted a Alice Shuttlewood marriage with other children elswhere)

Thank you for your opinions and any help you can give me

Sylvia

Appologies for going to bed, its about 1-30 am here and i`ve been up since 6.
    Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
    Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
    Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

maybe a will for either ancestor?

Comment

Thank you Kylejustin, have looked for one for Thomas Cooper, without any luck, he was discribed as a "Gentleman" on one of the baptisms, will look for one for Mary

Sylvia
      Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham

Comment

It all looks very promising but it does look as though you could do with something to confirm it.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

You could try an e-mail to Leics. Record Office to ask if they can find a settlement or removal order for the family, or maybe an apprenticeship deed for one of the children.

Comment

Thank you KiteRunner, as you say i need something to confirm it.

Sylvia
            Sylvia

Comment

Thats an idea Mary thank you

Sylvia
              Sylvia

Comment

i hope you find the necessary information, it is always hard to sit back knowing it's extremely possible, and being able to do nothing to prove it.

Comment

It is frustrating, but thats what we get for trying to do it the right way, with proof.

My 2x great grandmother Ann Cooper married into the Underwood family and they are just as frustrating, though for a different reason.

Sylvia
                  Sylvia

Comment

Working...
                  X