Deciphering occupation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciphering occupation

Can anyone decipher Thomas Cole's occupation.

I think William Clark's is Gardener! But I'm not that sure about that either.

occupation 1848.jpg

Cashier is one that might just fit, but I'm not convinced. Any hints from censuses? If it's a GRO certificate, how about trying the local RO to see if their record is clearer? You don't need to buy the certificate.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Tinker or Baker? I too think Gardener for William.
      Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

tinker
        baker

impossible to say. I'd contact the register office and ask if they can help.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

To me, it looks as if it ends "...ker", but it's not easy to discern.

Do you have any earlier/later occupations which might steer you towards a particular interpretation?

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If it's a factory area I'd say Looker (as in overlooker) but that's a real long shot! I'd contact the local RO and ask them about their copy.

Comment

Interestingly his son Samuel was a Gardener/Farmer with some acres at that time and eventually became a Gamekeeper.

Its a rural area in Essex Wickham Bishops/Witham 1848.

Comment

I'd say it's tinker;there's a suggestion of a dot above where i would be ?

Liz
                my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

The Committee has decreed - ask the registrar.

Comment

If I have the right man he eventually became a farm bailiff on the 1851 census.

Tinker seems a long way off from farming the whole family were into farming/gardening etc.

That's a marriage cert for Samuel I am a bit worried I have the wrong Thomas now.

I was going over some details I must have thought I had the right one before for some reason but looking at the cert its made me doubt it!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                      The Committee has decreed - ask the registrar.
                      Yep I will but I am impatient I wanted some other opinions.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
                        Yep I will but I am impatient I wanted some other opinions.

Thank you.
                        lol! I agree about gardener.

When was the marriage? Woudl the dads be on the census?

Comment

Yes like I said he's a farm bailiff on 1851 census which gave me some doubts as to it being the same man.

I think I have found the answer it could be Looker. Apparently a Looker looked after sheep!

Who knows.

Comment

Looker was what I thought it said, but I've not heard to that type!

Comment

It's on the old occupation list although its says looking after shep I assume its a typo for sheep

Old Occupations - L

Comment

I would have said a Looker and a Gardener.............

Comment

I agree, having been prompted!

Comment

Originally posted by Just Barbara View Post
                                    I would have said a Looker and a Gardener.............
                                    Yes I realise now having looked at the Old Occupations site but I'd never heard of a Looker before. Peculiar term for looking after sheep. Was it looking out for rustlers rather than shepherding!

Thank you though.

Comment

Working...
                                    X