Assistance needed with finding GP's deaths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assistance needed with finding GP's deaths

I am having difficulty in finding where and when my grandparents died.

He was William Charles Thomson and was born in Newark in 1876. He married Helen Jane Brown in June 1899 in Nottingham and the family including my Dad are shown as living in Nottingham in the 1911 census. Helen had to have been still alive in 1915 when my Uncle William was born but I don't know after that.

Have found Helen's death and William's father but not his.
    Last edited by LorraineJ; 04-05-09, 13:59.

Lorraine

Have you searched the full GRO indexes and not just the FreeBMD ones. The ones where you have to view the actual images quarter by quarter and year by year.
    They could still been living well into the 20th century. It's a matter of slowly trawling though them I'm afraid.

Comment

Would your parents marriage cert show if William Charles was alive or not, or couldn't that be relied upon?

Comment

Helen's DC would state whether she was wife or widow at the time.

OC

Comment

When Helen died in 1921, my grandfather was still very much alive. My mother has very vague memories of meeting him for the one and only time in 1950/51, therefore he must have died sometime after that.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
            When Helen died in 1921, my grandfather was still very much alive. My mother has very vague memories of meeting him for the one and only time in 1950/51, therefore he must have died sometime after that.
            Then I'm afraid you will have to trawl every quarter after that to find him. No short cuts at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
              Would your parents marriage cert show if William Charles was alive or not, or couldn't that be relied upon?
              I'd have to get a 'new' copy of the marriage certificate, as my Mum had a thing about burning quite a lot of family records after my Dad died and she is totally against me trying to find out about my Dad's side of the family. She says and I quote "what good is it, its not important?" Far from putting me off, its enflamed my interest more.

Comment

Originally posted by LorraineJ View Post
                I'd have to get a 'new' copy of the marriage certificate, as my Mum had a thing about burning quite a lot of family records after my Dad died and she is totally against me trying to find out about my Dad's side of the family. She says and I quote "what good is it, its not important?" Far from putting me off, its enflamed my interest more.
                Just make sure you order direct from the GRO or from the register office local to where the death took place.

Don't pay more than £7 (as in my signature)

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                  Just make sure you order direct from the GRO or from the register office local to where the death took place.

Don't pay more than £7 (as in my signature)

I do, thanks Margaret.

Comment

If you know the address where he was living in 1950/1, you could look in the old phone books on ancestry to see if he was listed, and if so, when the listing stopped, but bear in mind that most people are only listed by their initials in the phone book. But probably not worth looking if you don't know the address because there would be too many people of the same name.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      If you know the address where he was living in 1950/1, you could look in the old phone books on ancestry to see if he was listed, and if so, when the listing stopped, but bear in mind that most people are only listed by their initials in the phone book. But probably not worth looking if you don't know the address because there would be too many people of the same name.
                      Unfortunately I don't. Have spent many a happy hour looking from 1947 to about 1965 for possible deaths with Thomson William Charles, William C and the same for Thompson and have come up with absolutely nothing for a death. I don't know what other spellings to try and I didn't have the exact box ticked.

Comment

Do you know where Helen is buried?

My great grandparents died 20 years apart but are buried in the same plot at the cemetery.

Maybe worth trying a different approach.
                        Jay

Comment

All I know is that she died Sept 1921 7b 273 in Nottingham. I don't know how you go about finding a grave. It even occurs to me that she could be with her parents, so where do I go from here?

I had thought of ordering William's birth certificate, so I could find out his mother's maiden name but that doesn't answer why I can't find hs death record. I take it that death certifcates don't tell you were a person is buried, only the age they were and cause of death.

Comment

Lorraine

You aren't limiting your searches to an area, are you? Remember, people are registered where they died, not where they lived.

OC

Comment

I have gone back a generation to her father Enoch Brown who was born in Wilne in Derbyshire in about 1848. In the 1881 census, he is 33, his wife Annie is 31 and Helen J Brown is 2. They are living in Hackney London. We know by 1901 Helen had married William Charles but I haven't been able to find her in the 1891 census YET! What is interesting is that an Enoch Brown died in Nottingham in 1889, seems to be the right age. It so happens that this could tie in with Enoch Brown's brother in law Samuel Bunning, as I understand Bunning made provision for various families after a major accident.
                              Last edited by LorraineJ; 04-05-09, 21:00.

Comment

Do you think William would have left a will?
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                  Do you think William would have left a will?
                                  I have no idea whether he did or didn't.

What I do know is that Helen's husband had something to do with the Brewery business in Nottingham that was either owned or run by Samuel Bunning. Samuel started off in the railways, married Sarah (Enoch's sister) and somehow I think the family history links at that point there, but I am not sure how.

Comment

It's just that if you think he might have left a will then you could try looking in the National Probate Calendar for the entry and if you find it then it would tell you when and where he died.
                                    KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
                                    X