Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PRs for Colton (Lancashire North of the Sands)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRs for Colton (Lancashire North of the Sands)

Having recently re-established contact with a cousin who has been researching the Lishman family for many years, I'm having another push to confirm what is currently just IGI submitted records.

The family came from the Cartmel area with strong links to the area around the foot of Windermere (Colton parish). I've realised that the area was far more heavy industry than sheep in the 18th. and 19th. century. My key ancestor James Lishman died in 1801 and was an ironmaster at Backbarrow ironworks, where James Wilkinson (who moved to Coalbrookdale) also started his career. And several ancestors lived at Low Wood, which was the site of a gunpowder works. And finally, and nothing at all to do with my family, Backbarrow was also a major producer of ultramarine or "blue bag" until relatively recently.

I have had a lot of help from Helen Smith Too with Cartmel parish records and would now be really grateful if someone was able to trawl the Colton parish records for any signs in the early to mid 19th. century of the name Lishman and any connections to Myers and perhaps Muckelt. If it helps, there is a transcription of Colton parish records at Manchester.

My cousin has kindly sent me her transcription of James Lishman's will, which is not a lot of help since he doesn't name his children.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

'Heavy industry' is pushing it a bit UJ. :D
    I did an article for this month's magazine about the iron industry in Furness. It was an ideal place for the furnaces and forges because of the trees used for charcoal. In fact its believed to be one of the reasons why the area is still heavily wooded, as the trees were carefully manged.
    Once more 'modern' methods of producing iron were introduced the smaller forges declined and Barrow rose.

I don't mind seeing if we have the Colton records in our RO - as this is a Furness parish they should be there.

If you didn't see my article, there is a photo of the furnace at Duddon Bridge included in it. This was built in 1736, and James Lishman would probably have known it.
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Well it was heavy for the time - continuous production was more industrial than the old bloomeries. I probably did see your article and didn't realise the significance.

It would be great if you can get access to the Colton records. My cousin has pointed out that Ancestry has a different transcription, and I'm hoping that the originals are slightly more informative than the transcription.

There is such a huge morass of submitted IGI records to wade through, some of which are quite fanciful.

Comment

There's a marriage for a Jenny Lishman in Lancaster 1792 where a James Wilkinson was witness.

A few Lishmans in Hawkshead too.

I have quite a few people in that area I can't find baptisms for. I have marriages, burials and wills. Strangely they are all eldest sons and I've found the baptisms of al the younger siblings.

Comment

UJ..................do you have any other Lishmans? There are a few on the non-con BMDs.

Comment

That eldest son thing, Libby - I've found that quite a few of my "eldest sons" were either privately baptised in the family chapel (this came to light through other family papers) or they were baptised in a more important church than the local parish, which had something to do with future possibilities and obligations for the eldest son! Sometimes this baptism even took place in London, although the family lived solidly in Lancs/Yorks.

Another reason, which you already know, is that they were baptised RC secretly! (Sometimes other nonconformist religion)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              That eldest son thing, Libby - I've found that quite a few of my "eldest sons" were either privately baptised in the family chapel (this came to light through other family papers) or they were baptised in a more important church than the local parish, which had something to do with future possibilities and obligations for the eldest son! Sometimes this baptism even took place in London, although the family lived solidly in Lancs/Yorks.

Another reason, which you already know, is that they were baptised RC secretly! (Sometimes other nonconformist religion)

OC

Of course OH has to belong to the eldest son's line....lol

I've found a couple in London but they were the Bristol lot, and registered in Dr William's Library in London rather than baptised there.

And the Yorkshire lot are as bad as the Lancs lot....lol

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                UJ..................do you have any other Lishmans? There are a few on the non-con BMDs.
                I have thousands of Lishmans, thank you. :D:D
                Including a couple of lines I can't connect properly, but which I think are still in the GEDCOM database.

Non-con. isn't something I'd investigated. Do you have a web address please?

Comment

Try here.....

BMD Registers: The Official Non-Parochial BMDs Service

and use a few variations.

If you find any possibles......pm me.

Comment

Thanks Libby. I now remember using that site to locate some of my other relatives. Unfortunately there's nothing early enough for my surnames. But thanks for the link - it's now in my favourites.

Comment

Hello Uncle,

Just been reading your discussions for the Colton area, which rang a few bells, so I had a dig through some of my papers and found a note which says that Kendal Record Office has an indexed hardback book of transcriptions for Holy Trinity Colton from 1676 to 1812 which should cover the period you are looking at.

I understand that K.R.O. may undertake a quick search for you, as long as it lasts less that 10 mins., so it may be worth an email?

Good luck

Chris

Comment

Hi Chris (and welcome to FTF if nobody else has done the honours). Any search I might do is more likely to take a week's holiday! And a week away in Kendal is an unlikely scenario.

Comment

Working...
                        X