Any Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Thoughts

My grandmother Alberta Williams Maunder was born 1891 at St Neot, Cornwall and was still living in Cornwall at the 1901 census. I know that she moved to Westmorland in the early 1900s.

My problem is that on the 1911 census she can't be found ANYWHERE.

Furthermore Alberta's uncle Peter George Maunder (b. 1872 St. Neot), his wife Mary Ann (nee Hindson) and their son John George (b. 1900, Shap, Westmorland). I know this family moved at some stage to the West Riding of Yorkshire, but are also missing from the 1911 census even when leaving the living at box empty.

Alberta's mother Eliza Jane Maunder also moved to Shap, possibly at the same time, but married Francis Burton Ballantine in 1910, and is on the census. Alberta isn't at this abode and was still a Maunder at her marriage to my grandfather (Richard Staveley) in 1918 and the birth of my father in 1915.

I'm sorry if this is somewhat complicated but has anyone any thought's as to why they should all be absent.
    Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Alberta would have been 20 in 1911 and may very well have left home and be working elsewhere - Cornwall even!

OC

Comment

Could they have been in Scotland or Wales?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Peter George Manders 38 b Cornwall
        Mary Ann Manders 51 b Westmorland
        John George Manders 11 b Shap, Westmoreland

living in West Ward district Westmorland.
        Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 04-05-09, 13:08.

Comment

There's a female listed as Albert William Maunder living in Liskeard!

Will try and see who they are with.

Comment

John Higgins 68

No one else. "Albert William" is a servant to the head of house (ie that's their relationship to the head)

Comment

Only thing is that "Albert William" isn't listed as born St Neots (at least I've tries a few possible spellings and none worked!)

However, he/she is born in Cornwall and there are no birth regs for an Albert William Maunder born in Cornwall at the right time, so, as this person is listed as female, I think it's likely to be your Alberta!

Comment

Ah, in 1901 and 1891 your Alberta had St Cleer as birthplace rather than St Neot. In 1911 Albert William had St Cleer as birthplace too! lol

Comment

Merry's got her I reckon - you could SPIT from St Cleer to St Neots!

OC

Comment

*thinks OC isn't the "Lady" I thought she was* :(:D

Comment

Is Maunder a very common name in Cornwall? I ask, because I have a George Maunder Williams, b.1862 Cornwall marrying into my tree in Australia and I had never heard the name before

Beverley

Comment

*sniggers*

Genuki says that St Neot and St Cleer, although separate parishes, frequently overlap and use each other's churches and burial grounds, depending on which is handiest!

Both places have excellent OPCs, in case you wish to take the family back further.

EDIT: Macbev - yes, I would say Maunder is a relatively common name here. I have worked with two and know of several more.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
                          Is Maunder a very common name in Cornwall? I ask, because I have a George Maunder Williams, b.1862 Cornwall marrying into my tree in Australia and I had never heard the name before
                          There are about 1700 Maunders on the 1901 census, 200 of which are b in Cornwall and 650 are born in Devon, so those account for about half of al the Maunders

Comment

Doh, I've just realised that Alberta Maunder was already in the household of John Higgins in 1901!!

Comment

Thanks, OC and Merry. May get around to trying to track down this chap someday, but only when I get bored with the other brick walls I have.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post

May get around to trying to track down this chap someday, but only when I get bored with the other brick walls I have.
                                There's no obvious birth reg for him, so he might take some work! lol

Comment

Any Thoughts

Thanks to those of you who have looked for my grandmother Alberta Williams Maunder, but no answer's yet as to where she was in 1911.

My apologies for quoting St. Neot, when I have her birth cert. which says St. Cleer.

Thanks "Merry" for finding Peter George and family, I can't understand why their details don't come up when I try, I've just tried putting in all the info. that you gave me but still no luck.

Just as a point of interest, the only reason I can think of for her second christian name of "Williams" is that as she was illegitimate I presume that it could be a hint at the un-named father's name. I did look once and found several men called Williams in the district at that time who could be elligable.
                                  Ken. ;)

Staveley, Richardson, Maunder, Stewart.

Comment

Thanks to those of you who have looked for my grandmother Alberta Williams Maunder, but no answer's yet as to where she was in 1911.
                                    I'm not sure what you mean? She was in the same place she was in 1901 - with John Higgins!

Thanks "Merry" for finding Peter George and family, I can't understand why their details don't come up when I try, I've just tried putting in all the info. that you gave me but still no luck.
                                    Have you tried just entering Peter George in the forenames box and Manders (not Maunders or Maunder) in the surname box? There's only one result and that is your chap!
                                    Last edited by Merry Monty Montgomery; 04-05-09, 16:21.

Comment

Oops, I was too slow and you've logged off again!

Comment

Just as a point of interest, the only reason I can think of for her second christian name of "Williams" is that as she was illegitimate I presume that it could be a hint at the un-named father's name. I did look once and found several men called Williams in the district at that time who could be elligable.
                                        Isn't she the daughter of John and Jemima Maunder?

Comment

Working...
                                        X