External Hard Drive Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External Hard Drive Help Please

OH took into his head to have an external hard drive fitted while I was way...Bless!!!

So....question is what do I do with it? How do you save your tree etc. I use Family Tree Maker

Remember answers in one syllable..you are talking to a computer numpty here...lol

Thanks

Linda

hard drive

Hiya Linda
    Your normal hard drive inside tower will be C Drive.
    Your external hard drive will be removable disc H,G,H or I or some other letter.
    Click on my computer.
    You will see C: drive then then below them the removable disc [= external hard drive]H etc.

When you want to save anything.
    File:
    Save as:
    Browse
    My computer
    removable disc H
    click save.

You can also copy/cut anything off your desktop/my doc's to your external hard drive.

External hard drive is great because you can back up your files to that.
    Just make sure you copy correct part of your family tree maker across to your external hard drive.
    Don't forget this program is in your programs & is on your C: Drive.
    Someone else will hopefully come back with easy way to do it.
    All the best
    tugman

Comment

I use my external hard drive about once a week and I go to the 'Football' at the bottom of screen, Click, List of the Document Folders, Picture Folders appear ( if you have saved your work in Folders). I then Click on Documents and with the drop down menu I use Send and I get the menu that tugman has mentioned. I select the disk in my case it is clearly marked with the manufacturers name and Send To.
      I always keep two earlier copies of folders on my External Hard Disk one really old and say last months. I have found this useful as when I have a closed item and have deleted it from my documents thinking I will never need it again, it is waiting for me to view it.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Thanks very much for the info. At least I now know what to do

Linda

Comment

Working...
        X