FTM and Ancestry not communicating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM and Ancestry not communicating

When I clicked on the internet search thingy on FTM it told me I had to register, which I already had, so I went through the motions of signing in.

I did a search and it came up with suggestions but when I click on them it doesn't recognise that I am online with Ancestry because user name is different.

I know I can change my user name but have wibbled about doing so but, bearing in mind I want to delete my tree, update it and re-load it, would that be the best option? Change user name on Ancestry to the same as FTM? And once FTM and A are communicating, will that enable me to attach census images to my FTM and subsequently to my A tree when I re-load it?

I have a vague feeling that I have got registration with A using my FTM user name but my paid membership on A is a different user name (long story). Will I be able to re-register FTM with a fresh name if A won't allow my current FTM user name?

Thanks for any suggestions (apart from "shurrup blathering" lol)
    Rose

For FTM to search Ancestry you need both to be in the same username.

Searching Ancestry via FTM often doesn't work well (mistranscribed and married names for example) so it's often easier to search manually and save/copy the details to FTM.

Seeing as you upload a tree to Ancestry via GED files then census images wouldn't transfer during upload anyway (GED files are text only). If you want images on the Ancestry tree then it's either by uploading from the saved images on your pc or by using the "hints" thingy on Ancestry.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks Glen, that seems to answer my (rather long winded) question :D
      Rose

Comment

going to have to leave well alone and just search manually :(

FTM is registered under My Name with my.email address. Ancestry is OH's name with my.email address. If I try to register FTM with OH's name and my.email address it tells me that the email address is already registered. If I try to change my A user name to My Name instead of OH's name it tells me the user name is not available.

argggghhhhhhhhhh.
        Rose

Comment

Working...
        X