Missing Will - where to look next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Will - where to look next?

Can anyone suggest where I could look next for this Will?? I've drawn a blank at the Borthwick Institute.

George Senier from Cawthorne west riding of Yorkshire, buried April 1790. He was a tailor but from what I've found out about the family I'm sure they were comfortably off and it seems so unlikely he wouldn't have left a Will.

Lindsay

I'm not familiar with the Borthwick, but does it cover the Western Deaneries of the Archdeaconry of Richmond, as that is where I would expect to find a Yorkshire Will of that period.

Also - did you keep your search years quite loose? I have found (occasionally) that Wills have been mis-dated IN THE INDEXES and the reference date is sometimes the date the Will was written, not the date is was proved!

OC

Comment

That's got me thinking, OC!

I know Borthwick does have Wills from Cawthorne because when they couldn't find George in 1790 they suggested an alternative (later) one (similar name) which I bought but which was obviously not my chap. However, the search they did spanned 5 years forward from 1790 so if it was misfiled under the date it was made it would have been missed.

Having checked the Borthwick site it does suggest records from the archdeaconry of Richmond are held in West Yorkshire Archives, Leeds... perhaps I should check there just in case? The whole Will thing in Yorkshire seems very complicated!

Comment

Lindsay

you think that's complicated, lol!

Took me YEARS to twig that most of my LANCASHIRE relatives had Wills which are filed in the Archdeaconry of Richmond. Lancashire is a "young" county (only 1000 years old, lol) and was historically mostly under the jurisdiction of the Western Deaneries, which continued until fairly modern times, depending on exactly where the Lancashire lot lived.

The Archdeaconry of Richmond covers a huge geographical area, taking in some of Lancashire, some of Durham and other even more remote counties (including little pockets in Cornwall). This of course reflects their enormous land holdings from pre-medieval times. The Church is always reluctant to lose their grip on land and the fees that go with it.

OC

Comment

It's a shame he didn't hang on a few more years till they brought in death duties; then you would be able to search the index to death duties to see if he was listed.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Lol, Kite, on a par with dying just before the 1851 census!

It may not help me with George, but in case it comes in useful for another member of the same family, where would I find the index to death duties? TNA?

It's not an area I've had to look into before - very few Wills or indication that they had much to leave at all.

Comment

No, it's on FindmyPast. The index runs from 1796 to 1903.

Comment

I've just had a quick look at TNA; no will there, but they do have the army discharge papers for a William Senier born Mirfield c. 1772 who was in the Royal Horse Guards - maybe his son?

Comment

H'm, George did have a son called William, but he was born 1758 and was baptised in Cawthorne.

Thanks for looking, Mary.

Comment

Working...
                  X