Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware Genes Reunited!

Hi Everyone,
    Had to send off an email to GR as they auto-renewed my membership, despite me changing my renewal preferences TWICE. I was actually lucky that they took it out on my payday, as if it had been a day earlier my bank would have hammered me with charges.
    So anyone not wanting to auto-renew: if you change your preferences, double check to make sure they have been saved properly!
    Craig

I had the exact same problem! About a week before my renewal was due I got an email saying they would renew automatically - I was rather surprised as I'd changed my settings to single membership, so I went and checked, and lo! the setting had been reverted to automatic renewal...
    so I changed it back again...
    and checked the next day, and it had reverted again...

I did this several times and each time it got changed back (they were very determined to keep me, lol)

In the end, the day before the membership would have been renewed, I contacted them directly to explain what was happening and how unhappy I was about it.
    They were very unsympathetic, offered no apology or explanation, just a brief "well we've changed the settings for you now". They made me feel like they were accusing me of not being able to sort out my own settings - rather ironic considering I use the internet all day every day in my job!

I wasn't happy at all... but at least I didn't get charged in the end *phew!*

Comment

They are obviously trying to hang on to members by hook or by crook.

Comment

Thank you for the warning - I've just been to have a look - and try it out. It is, exactly, as you have said.

I've sent them this feedback message (taking the chance to tack on another matter):
        [1] Alerted by a post elsewhere, I checked this evening and I find that, however many times I change my preference from Continuous membership to Single - and I do Save - it is always "Continuous" when I come back and look again. I find that suspicious/misleading/deceitful.
        [2] When, in teh process of [1] I Save, I also seem to get a message to say that "Christine in Herts" is not allowed as a a site name. If not, why not? There is nothing offensive about it. It is a name which I use elsewhere without problem.
        [3] PLEASE reinstate the sort-by-newest for HotMatches. It gets around two problems - (a) hunting through all the pages I've retained, to look for new names, and then (b) having to hunt through all over again to pick up the names which have sneaked into earlier pages by random re-sorting while I have taken action of one kind or another on other names.
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I just checked my account also and like everyone else it had reverted to continious membership.

Christine your email to GR was clear and susinct so I hope you don't mind I used some words to a certain degree in my post back to GR but also added this last para as a warning to them

"I have taken a timed screenshot of my account page with the single membership box clearly ticked, any attempt to seek payment from me on a continious basis will result in legal proceedings against you"

L

Comment

What I also noticed recently when I looked at 'My Account' i.e. personal details it has a field that asks:-

Hide Living Relatives - drop down menu yes or no.

I had never noticed that before.
            Last edited by Guest; 03-05-09, 09:45.

Comment

I haven't subscribed to GR for a couple of years and have just been to look at my account.
              It says I am a free member but I can upgrade so that I can contact people for £34.95 GBP for 6 months

It was only a fiver for a year when it first started.

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
                I haven't subscribed to GR for a couple of years and have just been to look at my account.
                It says I am a free member but I can upgrade so that I can contact people for £34.95 GBP for 6 months

It was only a fiver for a year when it first started.
                that will be for the gold membership. when you go to renew you should get the choice between that one and the cheap one. i just renewed for au$19.95

Comment

Originally posted by perth tiger View Post
                  that will be for the gold membership. when you go to renew you should get the choice between that one and the cheap one. i just renewed for au$19.95
                  I've no intention of renewing anyway, but that's the only option I can see at the moment. Doesn't mention anything about gold membership.
                  Surely they should tell you on the first page.

Comment

Mine was only £7.50 again this year. I've always kept it on automatic renewal and it's never gone up....much to the annoyance of alot of other members on there :D
                    Jeanette
                    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanette In Yorkshire View Post
                      Mine was only £7.50 again this year. I've always kept it on automatic renewal and it's never gone up....
                      Same here, although mine's £9, I think.

Comment

Was it £9.95 Blackberry?

I've been there since 2003 when it was £5 for a year and then it was increased to £7.50. Then, a couple of years ago I thin it was, they did that price increase where it went up to £9.95 for a year for existing members and £9.95 for 6 months for new members. That's when it all went pear shaped :D and people were getting charged all sorts of prices. Well, mine never changed from the £7.50 and I wasn't about to complain ;) :D
                        Jeanette

Comment

"[2] When, in teh process of [1] I Save, I also seem to get a message to say that "Christine in Herts" is not allowed as a a site name. If not, why not? There is nothing offensive about it. It is a name which I use elsewhere without problem."

Anyone who has a username that includes spaces or non alpha characters is no longer able to change e-mail details etc. The use of spaces, punctuation and numerals within a username flags up a warning to GR.
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I have just checked my account with Genes Reunited and I am still on single membership phew because I am not renewing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                              "[2] When, in teh process of [1] I Save, I also seem to get a message to say that "Christine in Herts" is not allowed as a a site name. If not, why not? There is nothing offensive about it. It is a name which I use elsewhere without problem."

Anyone who has a username that includes spaces or non alpha characters is no longer able to change e-mail details etc. The use of spaces, punctuation and numerals within a username flags up a warning to GR.
                              Thanks, Glen

It might be helpful if they were to say so, along with the error message, rather than hoping we're psychic, or have informed friends. I'll wait for them to tell me, unless I find I'm displayed by full name.

Christine
                              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanette In Yorkshire View Post
                                Was it £9.95 Blackberry?

I've been there since 2003 when it was £5 for a year and then it was increased to £7.50. Then, a couple of years ago I thin it was, they did that price increase where it went up to £9.95 for a year for existing members and £9.95 for 6 months for new members. That's when it all went pear shaped :D and people were getting charged all sorts of prices. Well, mine never changed from the £7.50 and I wasn't about to complain ;) :D
                                Don't blame you!! I have also been a member that long, since 2002, and mine will renew tomorrow at £9.something for the year. I think I was late one year in renewing so mine went up from £7.50 then.
                                Caroline
                                Caroline's Family History Pages
                                Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I have just had a cheque from GR because, although I have never let my membership lapse, they were charging me £9.95 instead of £7.50. I did tell them that when I first joined it was only £5, but I suppose some refund is better than none :D

They had answered another member stating to the effect that longstanding members only paid the fee they paid on joining, unless their membership had lapsed.
                                  I had to email them about 6 times before they properly answered my question "Why then was I being overcharged?".

So I am now the proud possessor of a cheque for 4 years worth of overcharging ;)

I'd better bank it quick, before they change their minds :D
                                  My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Wow Sue! Well done for your persistance
                                    Jeanette

Comment

I have never paid for GR and never intend to. I think its about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Comment

At a tenner a year I think it's great value, as I've made lots of good contacts. Glad I didn't miss the boat. Mind you, if it went up substantially I wouldn't continue.

Comment

Working...
                                        X