Lightbulb moment -Wills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightbulb moment -Wills

I don't have much experience of wills - mine are all ag. labs & if they have a will it's one page, leaving everything to the missus & they have been proven in a local County Court.

However for some time I have had an 8 page PCC will of a 4x great aunt who obligingly confirmed a lot of relationships for me even mentioning the 'natural' son (ggg-gf) of her brother (gggg-gf) by name.

I have digested the gist of it but thought I'd transcribe it. It's only from 1847 but some of the letters have only the up or down strokes so are quite difficult to read.

Now for the point. At the end of some lines are what look like short words such as 'in' or 'am' but sometimes longer & making no sense in the context of what is being said.

Am I right in thinking that these are vertical lines to prevent anything being added when a long word has to be started on a new line?
    Glen

Yes, that's right!

Comment

Thanks Merry -it's probably something most people know but I was very proud of my 'Eureka' moment.

That said it may be something I know & had forgotten until that moment. Lol.
      Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
        That said it may be something I know & had forgotten until that moment. Lol.

I expect so!

If you are stuck with the transcribing at all you could always post images up on here

Comment

The first will I downloaded was for someone whose wife was supposed to be called Jane, so when I looked through to check it was the right person, I was disappointed to find it was someone whose wife was Laura, but luckily I soon realised that the a was just one of those fillers!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Sorry, had to go & talk to my sister for a couple of hours.

Thanks for the offer Merry but I've never been able to use Photobucket - my files are never the right sort. I think I can manage the majority of it; there's just the odd word that's a problem.
            Glen

Comment

Working...
            X