Workhouse Births.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workhouse Births.

I am in need of help! I just found my Grandfather was born in a workhouse,I have the name of the workhouse and the date of his birth.I can only find Census records but not individual births.Could anyone help me with this matter please?
    Many Thanks
    Cavour.

Hello and welcome. Could we have some names and details please? if living please do not give names
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Kind of you to reply.Yes,the name is Ernest Flatman,born in 1885 in Suffolk and the area given is Hartsimere,this turns out to be a workhouse in suffolk.
      Does this make sense?
      Many thanks
      Cavour.

Comment

Ernest Flatman 1885 Mar quarter Hartismere Suffolk 4a 769
        there is his birth record

Comment

just order that from the gro and you'll be fine!!

Comment

Welcome to FTF

I can't see him on the census 1891 or 1901. Do you have his marriage certificate? Are there any father's details on it?

I was wondering if he was brought up by a step-father and Ernest is carrying his surname on the census records?

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
              Ernest Flatman 1885 Mar quarter Hartismere Suffolk 4a 769
              there is his birth record
              Thats a great,I can't thank you enough.I realy can't believe it, this is my first post on this Forum and within just a few moments problem solved.
              Great Site!!!
              Thanks for your trouble.
              Cavour.:D

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                just order that from the gro and you'll be fine!!
                I shall do that,thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                  Welcome to FTF

I can't see him on the census 1891 or 1901. Do you have his marriage certificate? Are there any father's details on it?

I was wondering if he was brought up by a step-father and Ernest is carrying his surname on the census records?
                  Hi,good of you to help.
                  I found Ernest in County Durham on the 1891 Census aged 6 years.I found him again on the 1901 Census in County Durham aged 16 years.On these Census records his Father's name is Samuel Flatman,and his mother is on this record as being Elizabeth Flatman.On the 1891 Census it looks as if Elizabeth's brothers are living with them,they are down as brothers,their names being William and Walter Rodwell.If so this would mean that Elizabeth's maiden name was Rodwell.
                  So if I can trace the Marriage records of Samuel and Elizabeth Flatman,(my Great Grandparents) would that give me Elizabeth's maiden name? If so let's hope it's Rodwell.
                  Thanks Again for your help.
                  Cavour.
                  Last edited by Cavour; 02-05-09, 18:16.

Comment

Note to self *READ the post properly before sticking oar in*

I read the date as 1875 not 1885, so I've been looking for someone who didn't exist!

I'm afraid those two "brothers" are boarders not brothers!

Comment

Originally posted by Cavour View Post
                      Kind of you to reply.Yes,the name is Ernest Flatman,born in 1885 in Suffolk and the area given is Hartsimere,this turns out to be a workhouse in suffolk.
                      Does this make sense?
                      Many thanks
                      Cavour.
                      Are you saying that because his birthplace is given as Hartismere, you are assuming he was born in the workhouse, or have you seen his birthplace given as "Hartismere Workhouse"? Hartismere was an area so if his birthplace on the census says Hartismere it doesn't necessarily mean the workhouse.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

His place of birth says Burgate in 1891 which is a parish covered by Hartismere district. There were no workhouses in Burgate parish as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Cavour View Post
                          On the 1891 Census it looks as if Elizabeth's brothers are living with them,they are down as brothers,their names being William and Walter Rodwell.If so this would mean that Elizabeth's maiden name was Rodwell.
                          So if I can trace the Marriage records of Samuel and Elizabeth Flatman,(my Great Grandparents) would that give me Elizabeth's maiden name? If so let's hope it's Rodwell.

Cavour.
                          I think it says boarders rather than brothers.

1881 shows Samuel married to a Maria with eldest child 10.

A Samuel FLATMAN marries a Maria MINTER in 1869 & there is a birth for a Maria Elizabeth MINTER in 1854.
                          Glen

Comment

And Maria was Mary Elizabeth on one of the censuses! (I'm trying not to notice that Samuel was called Thomas in 1901!)

In 1871 Samuel and Maria are together with John aged 7mths.

Comment

Note that Samuel may have left Suffolk because of the lack of agricultural work. he was an ag lab in 1871 but a miner on the later censues.

Comment

I read the date as 1875 not 1885, so I've been looking for someone who didn't exist!

Trust me to get it wrong,it just looked like brothers.I never thought of boarders.I'm the one who should watch what he's doing.Now I don't know how I can find out what Elizabeth's maiden name was,Any ideas?
                                Thanks Again
                                Cavour.

Comment

there are quite a few earlier Flatmans from Burgate submitted by a lady in NZ on IGI pedigree resources
                                  Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Cavour

His birth certificate will give his mother's maiden name.

OC

Comment

possible marriage 1869 Hartismere Suffolk oct/nov/dec vol 4a page 1100

Samuel Flatman / Maria Minter
                                      Last edited by jean; 02-05-09, 19:28.
                                      Jean

Comment

Oh yes,I just had another look and i'm sure now it is Boarders.(trust me)
                                        Now I wonder how I can find out Elizabeth's maiden name,any ideas?
                                        Thanks Again
                                        Cavour.

Comment

Working...
                                        X