has anyone noticed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone noticed

I am doing some birth research and just noticed the number of errors in Ancestry for the birth reg/county has anyone else noticed. I would think for anyone who does not live in England it must be very confusing

I have one for Bexley and they say it is in Leicestershire, Derbyshire.

Also some for Wood Green London and they say it is in Surrey, Kent.

Another Grantham they say is in Northhamptonshire, Lincolnshire, Yorkshire

I have tried to find a way to email the corrections but it is not possible. But even if there was a way it would take a long time as I have found so many.
    GWEN

I think its something to do with the way they set up the OCR when they captured the data.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

It seems to be to do with the volume number - if you look at the volume numbers used for a particular county over the years they have changed but I think ancestry is using a simple lookup where they always show the same county or list of counties for a particular volume number. So it is right for some years but wrong for olthers.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

My birth registration is given the wrong county on Ancestry because the registration district was reorganised and changed name half way through the year I was born.
        The volume number was changed and for 2 quarters, Ancestry have indexed according to the previous county to have this volume number.
        Totally different area of England - confusing for those of us who live in the UK, never mind overseas!

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I had always presumed that the spare counties were likely to crop up if your place were near a county boundary. That way, you wouldn't lose out if you'd quoted the wrong one.

I guess the span of the District makes more sense.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
          X