Google Toolbar with IE8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Toolbar with IE8

I've installed Internet Explorer 8 on our main computer (Vista) and it seems to have imported the add-ons from IE7, including the Google toolbar, with no problems.
    But on our XP laptop, when I installed IE8 it said the Google toolbar was incompatible with IE8 and could cause it to freeze or crash, so it more or less forced me to disable it. I tried downloading the latest version of the Google toolbar and as far as I can see, it installed o.k. but I still get the same message whenever I start up Internet Explorer. I checked what version of the toolbar I had showing as an add-on and it said 4.0.1020.6156. I thought I would compare that with the version I have on the Vista computer but it doesn't seem to show the version number on here!

Any ideas what I can do to use the Google toolbar in IE8 on the laptop, please?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Kite, the latest version of the Toolbar is 6. Try upgrading it - it should have support for IE8 now.
    Tracy

Comment

How do you get that version, please? I thought I had already tried downloading the latest version from the link on Google?
      KiteRunner

Comment

Kate, found this on Microsoft support site.
        Windows Internet Explorer 8 Release Candidate 1 release notes

Google Toolbar
        Internet Explorer 8 RC1 displays a compatibility warning when certain versions of the Google Toolbar add-in are installed. This issue occurs because Internet Explorer 8 RC1 and specific versions of this add-in are incompatible, and the installation is unstable. When you disable this add-in, the functionality that this product provides is removed.
        For more information and for updates, visit the following Google Toolbar Web site:
        Google Toolbar

Not sure if it is of any help!
        Elaine

Comment

Oh, I wonder if that means I have "release candidate 1" of IE8 on the laptop? Maybe I'll get an update for it, then. Thanks, Elaine.
          KiteRunner

Comment

Working...
          X