Anyone going to Kew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone going to Kew?

I'm new to the forum but was recommended by a friend.

I am trying to get information about my father who was mentioned in Depatches in WW2. I believe the records if available are held in Kew, so wondered if anyone was going at some point whether they could do a look up for me.

His details are:- Harold Victor Arnold dob 7 March 1916 died 1999, army No2198932 Royal Engineers. On his records from MOD I see his 'mention' is noted for 29 Nov 1945 and it was published in the London Gazette. No details are given as to what he did to get this 'mention' and I would really like to know if possible. There is a refernce on his papers that says 'records letter M/A MID/522 dated 7 Jan 46'.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Vic

Have you already looked it up in the London Gazette, I'm not quite sure from reading your post?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I had a look here: http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/search

There's a ref to a promotion for someone of that name (but R.A.S.C. #121079)
      Gazette Issue 38816 published on the 20 January 1950. Page 3 of 8

But I can't see that Mention.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I was told that all of the relevant information was only available at Kew. However, I am quite prepared to try and look in what ever can be suggested. Vic

Comment

Very few recommendations for MID survive. There are some on the documentsonline website in the Recommendations for Honours and Awards section, so worth a look. If you know which unit of RE he was in and if date of 29 Nov is the date he "earned" it or thereabouts, the War Diary may mention it. It will be at TNA if available.
          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X