Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Trade directories 1822-1841 and census/BMD help

Trade Directory Bit:

Does anyone have any access to trade directories betwen the above dates?

I'm trying to narrow the gap to discover either the deaths or disappearance of these two brothers and their wives/families!

In 1815 Robert McCrery of Orange Street Bloomsbury dies. He leaves his business (tin man/tin merchants/lamp makers) to his sons, Robert and William

In 1816 son Robert McCrery jr marries Sarah Millwood in Bloomsbury (Pallots). I don't know this is Robert senrs son - that's part of what I'm trying to discover. Sarah Millwood would be a cousin of some sort, which boosts my theory that he is!

In 1822 the brothers appear in Pigots London Directory at 2 Orange Street, Bloomsbury listed under carriage lamp makers.

In 1823 William McCrery marries Sarah Okey in Bloomsbury (Pallots). Again, I don't know this is the same William, just could be.

In 1841 the address 2 Orange street is a coffee rooms run by one William Clayton, so the brothers have moved on/died etc.

So, where did the two brothers go? Can anyone narrow the gap between 1822 and 1841?

Census etc bit:

Also, there are these other two McCrery marriages on Pallots which are not long before the censuses start, but I can't find either couple after this :(

Thomas McCrery m Mary Mortlock 1836 Bloomsbury
    John McCrery m Hannah Mortlock 1831 St Leonard's Shoreditch

I've spelled McCrery the same way throughtout here, but it's spelled loads of different ways. I didn't discover the Pallots entries for a long time because the Mc bit isn't recorded and they are indexed under Crery.

Ancestry has the 1829 London Post Office Directory.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I'm on the laptop at the moment so ancestry is going very slow for me, but it looks as though the Mc names in that 1829 directory are listed as M' and are right at the beginning of the M section, but as the first M page starts with M'D, I think the M'C names must be in the "L-M" section which I can't get to load at the moment.
      KiteRunner

Comment

Kite, can you give me a link to it? I've looked and looked, but can't find anything for that year :(

Sorry, cross posted. I can't find the directory at all!

Comment

Ancestry isn't loading for me at the moment, but I clicked on Ancestry Card Catalogue and put London directory in the keywords, then when it came back with the results there were various categories and I picked one that was trade directories or something like that, and it came back with 15 databases, one of which was the 1829 London directory. If I ever get it to load then hopefully I can give you a link!
          KiteRunner

Comment

Oh, maybe this link I got by hitting the "back" button will take you to it:
            London Post Office Directory, 1829 - Ancestry.co.uk
            KiteRunner

Comment

Don't worry, Kite, I can probably find it from that, but I have to cook something for the starving masses right now and then (horror) they want to visit "Build a Bear" :( So, I may not get to look until later!

Comment

Oooh, ta for the link! lol

Comment

1825-6 Pigots Wm Maccrery listed at 2 Orange St as a Coach & Carriage Lamp Maker
                  Robert

Comment

Oooh thank you Robert! Where did you find that? Interesting that there's only William recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                      Oh, maybe this link I got by hitting the "back" button will take you to it:
                      London Post Office Directory, 1829 - Ancestry.co.uk
                      The all-important page 267 isn't showing!! :(

Comment

1839 Pigots Clayton Coffee House at 2 Orange St.

Maccrery not listed as caoch & carriage lamp makers
                        Robert

Comment

1839 Pigots Maccrery not listed as Lamp Makers either.
                          Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                            The all-important page 267 isn't showing!! :(
                            I've got it now I'm on the main computer, but there's no M'Crery listed:
                            - Ancestry.co.uk
                            KiteRunner

Comment

lol How did you find that? I looked at the last L page and the first M page.

I suppose there was a page rcorded as L-M but I couldn't see how to find it!

Robert, thanks very much for those other Pigot entries. I'm beginning to wonder if thy emigrated? :(

Comment

Yes, it's listed as L-M, and it shows up if you browse the directory, then you click on L-M and it says "Unknown" and you click on that.
                                KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                                  but it looks as though the Mc names in that 1829 directory are listed as M' and are right at the beginning of the M section, but as the first M page starts with M'D, I think the M'C names must be in the "L-M" section which I can't get to load at the moment.
                                  Just to say (haven't read to the end of the thread yet) that M apostrophe is a common alternative spelling of Mc.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Your telling me! lol

Not helped by the fact that all online searching has to include Mc Mac and M' with the next part of the word - all the variables of "Crery" - either with or without a space between the two C's :( Then there's the times the second C gets forgotten!

Comment

found this site that might helps some one it is free but a bit hard to seach and keeps crashing on pc but then my pc is playing up
                                      wye surrey/london/birmingham
                                      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
                                      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
                                      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
                                      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
                                      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

Thanks tinkerbe. I agree that site isn't always too friendly!

Comment

Working...
                                        X