Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please deciphering naval records

This information was from the Allotment Register for the HMS Venerable
    the list was written horizontally across both pages and the names were not in alphabetical order.
    I wonder if anyone could explain;

a) the second line - re triplicates
    b) the line about 'allotment ceased' I wondered what the 'k' stood for
    c) any suggestions as to what the STOP N (or M) 9693 might mean

I would be grateful for help with this one

No on ship’s book 730
    no of triplicates 60
    name Joseph Semain
    rank ordinary seaman
    to whom paid wife
    day 5
    month 11.8
    when allotted 5 July

by whom paid R. Newry
    when allotment ceased k 22 September 1805
    STOP N (or M) 9693
    TO WHAT TIME 22nd October 1805
    sum 17.10.0
    charged on paybook 4.7.11
    paid off 10.11

I don't think I can help much, but thought it might be helpful to have a reply, to bump this up in case any knowledgeable newcomers miss it after it's slid down the list.

17.10.0 would have been quite a lot of money - but the other figures could be dates or amounts of money, the way they are written.

I think the ref to a wife, was to do with the arrangement for some of the seaman's pay to be paid to his wife, at home.

Can't think of the symbolism of the things you're actually asking about, I'm afraid, even tho' I have looked at such documents, myself.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I don't know a lot so hope some of this might help. A new Venerable came into service not long after this, so I think the crew were being paid off. The large amount might have been due to this being the first time he was paid moneys due in the whole of his service in the navy. K could be weeks. And I'll look to see if I can find out anymore..

Comment

Thankyou Christine and Barbara.

The Venerable sank on the 24/11/1804, I wonder if Joseph was on board when that happened. The new Venerable must have been built almost immediately, and in action, for him to be paid off on September 1805

We are really interested to know what the 'k' stands for. We were desperately hoping it wasn't for 'killed' as we have him settling in Baltimore in 1807 where he worked as a rigger, so your mention that it may refer to weeks was a relief. I wonder if the new Venerable went as far as America, could he have jumped ship there? Hopefully you may find a little more Barbara. Thanks so much for all the help
        Last edited by Val and George; 03-05-09, 03:33.

Comment

if he was killed his wife would have been paid a lot quicker than 10 months....and if he was missing "lost at sea" she would of had to wait "a year and a day"....this ruling still applies today.....so I think you can safely say it wasn`t a death payment.....allan;)
          Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
          oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
          adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
          merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
          coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allotments were done per ship, he left the ship for another or got promoted, he would need a new allotment. His allotment declaration number would appear in the ships pay book.
            Before 1797 an Able Seaman earned 24s per month and an Ordinary Seaman, 19s. Out of that there were deductions. After that..( there was a mutiny) a Royal Navy seaman was paid a shilling a day. They could of course come in for prize money but that require capturing a ship. Merchant Navy seamen on the other hand could evidently earn up to £6 a month.

Comment

Thankyou Allan and Barbara, I feel a lot better with that information. I am most grateful
              Cheers -

Comment

Working...
              X