Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mid 2009's getting nearer - 1911 Irish census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid 2009's getting nearer - 1911 Irish census?

Any news on the progress of the 1911 irish census? The promise on the website is still all counties by mid 2009. It's now May and there's been nothing since Dec 2008.
    Hail Spode!

I use Donegal genealogy resources, and amongst their 1901 cenuses there is the occasional 1911, so erm dunno??

Comment

Nothing yet sorry. Still waiting in ever increasing urgency! Don't worry there wll be a barrage of threads when it does arrive!

Janet

Comment

Janet, please tell them to hurry!...:D, If they start with the 9 counties......

Comment

My Samuel Nesbitt is there, in Belfast -
          Joy

Comment

I had a look and there are only some of the counties, Down is good, but I need Donegal and Cavan, and to be able to look for grandad....

Comment

I'm after Carlow and dare I say it, Wicklow :(
              Hail Spode!

Comment

I am waiting for Tipperary, Cork and Offaly. I have tried my Irish Influence but it does not seem to work any more.:D

The good news is that Donegal, Cork and Offaly are top of the list but the bad news is that Tipperary and Wicklow are at the bottom of the list!

I suppose they could be short of money this year!!!!

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 02-05-09, 18:21.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                  I am waiting for Tipperary, Cork and Offaly. I have tried my Irish Influence but it does not seem to work any more.:D

The good news is that Donegal, Cork and Offaly are top of the list but the bad news is that Tipperary and Wicklow are at the bottom of the list!

I suppose they could be short of money this year!!!!

Janet
                  A US friend of mine was saying that they've employed otherwise-unemployed folks in recession times to transcribe the censuses there - so we might get the 1940 US census quite promptly. That would be really good from my point of view... assuming that Errant Grandfather isn't hiding, as he seems to have been in 1911! :(

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I did not think that the unemployed worked on the census, but I know that they did work on the parish records pre 1864 all over Ireland back in the 1970's, just after Ireland joined the EEC, and it was EEC money that helped these unemployed people to sort out SOME of the parish records. These records were then given to the various Heritage Centres all over Ireland, who then charged people to access their family trees at a hefty price. Of course Ireland became prosperous and the work ceased, so the parish work was NEVER completed, in fact far from complete. Then The Heritage Centres under the guise of the Irish Foundation put all these same parish records online, still unfinished, and they still charge a hefty sum, even though these records are so incomplete!:(o They do not give a warning either to say how incomplete the records are.

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 03-05-09, 10:22.

Comment

There's been a status update on the future plans page

Originally posted by The National Archives of Ireland

We have had a number of queries as to timescales for placing future counties online. We apologise for the delay in responding to you all.

Although we placed Antrim, Kerry and Down online in December, we encountered a number of errors in transcription, as well as some missing material. We have requested our partners to review the material with a view to improving accuracy. These three counties, with improved data quality, along with Cork, Donegal, Wexford, Galway and King’s County (Offaly) will be placed online by the end of May.

Some material was never microfilmed, and has hence has not been digitised (Valentia in Co. Kerry is a case in point). We will supply information about missing material for each county, as well as arranging to have it digitised as soon as we can.

The National Archives would like to express its appreciation to our users for your very important feedback on transcription errors. This feedback has proved beneficial in our overall assessment of the quality of data being provided by our digitisation partners in this project. It is hoped that corrections submitted by members of the public for Antrim, Kerry and Down will be included in the forthcoming launch, but they may have to wait until the next one due to shortage of resources.

Further tranches of counties will comprise:

1. Limerick, Mayo,Waterford, Armagh, Carlow, Cavan, Clare, Fermanagh, Kildare, Kilkenny and Leitrim;

2. Londonderry (Derry), Longford, Louth, Meath, Monaghan, Queen’s County (Laois), Roscommon, Sligo, Tipperary, Tyrone, Westmeath and Wicklow.

At present, we hope to be placing the first listed tranche online by mid – July, and the second tranche by end -August, but this is subject to our being satisfied that the data meets our required levels of accuracy.

In September, we will be rebuilding the site to include full transcription of all of the data on the household forms for 1911, including religion, occupation, relationship to head of family, literacy status, marital status, county or country of origin, Irish language proficiency, specified illnesses, and child survival information.

1901, with all data transcribed, will be launched towards the end of 2009
                      Future Plans for the Census
                      Hail Spode!

Comment

I can't wait......:D

Comment

1911 Irish Census Update.

Hi All,

The National Archive of Ireland have added more counties over the last few days. They now include Antrim, Cork, Donegal, Down, Dublin, Galway, Kerry, Kings County (Offaly) and Wexford, and they hope to cover the rest of Ireland over the coming months.

I did a search on my family in Cork last night and it worked perfectly.
                          Here's the link to the archive: National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911,

and I did a bit of a write up about the census and my findings here: Irish Census 1911.

The Archive is a great resource.

Comment

Great, thanks Mick, I shall go and look.

Comment

And it is free
                              Joy

Comment

why is this free and not the English one ??

Comment

I thought for a minute there it was alphabetical until I saw Wexford

I'm waiting on Kilkenny and Waterford.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - but have we had Dublin for quite a while already? Or is that 1901?
                                  Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Canadian 1911 is free, too.
                                    Automated Genealogy
                                    1901 Census
                                    The 1901 Census was the first census that LAC released images for and the first one we indexed. Transcription has been completed and we are approximately 60% through proofreading.
                                    1911 Census
                                    Transcription is now complete, proofreading is in progress.

The Irish 1911 is being done first, then the 1901 -
                                    About the census
                                    The website was launched in December 2007. The first phase consisted of Dublin City and County 1911, images, databases and contextual material (see 4 below). The second phase, launched in December 2008, comprised Antrim, Down (both counties contain Belfast city) and Kerry. A third phase was launched on 29 May 2009, and this comprised Cork, Donegal, Galway, King's County (Offaly) and Wexford. See Future plans for information about the remaining phases.
                                    1911 is being prepared first because the film is better quality than 1901, and we are initially focussing on urban areas because of the present difficulty of finding one’s ancestors in cities without a precise address. The website is freely accessible, with no charge for viewing any of the material.
                                    Joy

Comment

thanks Joy. Wasn't sure for a minute there as I did loads of 1911 when I was in Dublin and couldn't remember if that's where I'd seen it or I'd wasted money on a trip when I could have done it from home
                                      Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

Comment

Hi Samesized!

Yep looking forward to Kilkenny as well, that's where my mother came from and family history on that side is a complete mystery.

I'm hoping it will open up a new path.

Mick

Comment

Working...
                                        X