Death Cert. Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Cert. Query

I have just received my GGGrandmother's death cert.

She died in 1917 aged 92.
    The cause of death is stated as senile decay.

I'm unsure of what this means, is it dementia or general old age??
    Anyone come across this before?

Allie
    Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

I've a few with that on, Allie, although they are generally in the 1850s-1880s. I think its just old age generally and not what we would consider as dementia or Alzheimers today.
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Thanks for that Helen

Allie
      Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

my fifth great grandmother died from 'senile decay' in 1903. she was 90.
        i think it just means general old age. at 90 your brain wouldnt be functioning properly, and there would probably be other health concerns. this ancestor had pneumonia as well, but i don't think english certs mention other ailments people were suffering from at the time of their demise.

Comment

It means, as with most death certs that the doctor doesn't know!!!

I think its general old age, which isn't really a reason.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I agree 'senile decal' = old age. But tbh - by the time you get to 90 to die of 'old age' is good!

I hate looking at modern death certificates for very aged people :(. The list of several horrible causes of death seems to overlook the fact the the person was obviously pretty healthy for most of their 90+ years. We all have to go sometime and 'old age' seems good to me.

Anne

Comment

Working...
            X